Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

How much are you paying for motorcycle insurance?

13K views 17 replies 16 participants last post by  todds 
#1 · (Edited)
Hey guys, what are you paying on insurance for your duc and any tips on how much coverage to get?

Me:
Bodily Injury & Property Damage:
$100,000 person / $300,000 accident / $50,000 property damage

Bike:
2001 M750

Riding experience:
Less than a year

Insured with:
Progressive (I clicked on an ad on this site. Hope it helps!)

Annual Insurance Fee:
$736

Comprehensive: (Pays for loss or damage to your covered vehicle caused by any event other than collision. This includes damages due to events such as fire, theft, windstorm, flood, and vandalism.)
$250 Deductable

Collision: (Pays for loss to your covered vehicle when it collides with another object or overturns.)
$250 Deductable

Accessory coverage: $3000 (included)

I feel pretty safe with these numbers but let me know if I should lower or increase any. I like that collision protection also cover me dumping my bike. I figure if I eventually drop twice I can pay the $250 to take it to the shop and get her fixed up. I'm sure my rate would increase the following year though.

See less See more
#2 ·
Your age and your riding experience will always give you a higher rate. Complete the MSF course and it will save you about 20%.

I use Foremost, which is linked off the Ducati website. Coverage levels are comparable with yours for $230 / year. I am 38, married with kids, riding for 15 years, AMA member, Desmo Club member, ect. These all contribute to a very low rate.

Foremost also considers where you live and adjusts. For example, I am in Chicago and they know that the riding season is about 8 months at best. They factor this in and average it. This saves you the hassle of down grading your insurance to only fire and theft during the winter months.
Jim

#3 ·
New Rider: Geico Insurance

My license is about two years old without any accidents or movers (knocking on wood). My insurance in Queens was $520 a year, minimal insurance through GEICO, and now in Long Island its $415 a year.
In NYS, a motorycycle safety course would lower my insurance an extra 10%. I shopped around and GEICO had the best rates.

-Zoltan

#5 ·
Bike: Monster 696, Age: 62, MSF course: Yes Annual premium for coverage listed below: $421.00 with Progressive via USAA.
Bodily Injury Liability: $250,000 / $500,000
Property Damage Liability: $100,000
Pedestrian PIP: $10,000
Comprehensive -$1,000
Collision -$1,000
Accessory coverage $3,000
Roadside Assistance

#6 ·
damn im payin like 1200 a year and im an msf instructor lol. with progressive, military, but its with my S4R and im like wanted in like 3 states lol (im kidding in the last part) but my tickets are killig me too.

#8 ·
'01 S4. 48 years old, married, no tickets lately (traffic school you know), 1 felony speeding ticket several years ago, still can't buy guns, 38 years riding experience, motorcycle license for 32 continuous years, Central California (location makes a difference). $276/year, full coverage. My CBR900RR with liability only was $82/year.

#16 ·
same, except for the felony speeding ticket. $175 with Prudential.

#9 ·
Yikes! I hate to be one of those annoying "I got y'ah all beat" kinda guys,
but you're getting steamed rolled compared to me. I'm currently
insuring 3 bikes (M750, ST-2 and a 955 Speed Triple) with the same
100/300/50 liability coverage for $139/year total through Allstate.
Of course I'm sure I'm considerably older than the median age here,
and I also insure both my house and car with them too, hence a
discount. Sorry for any disillusionment. However, a helpful suggestion:
drop the collision and the comprehensive coverage. The standard rule
of thumb is such coverage is no longer cost-effective once the bike
exceeds 4-5 years in age.

#10 ·
Thanks for the figures and advice guys. I forgot to add that I'm 27, live in the San Francisco Bay Area (which means I drive year round) and also marked the bike as my main mode of transportation.

$700+ plus for annual insurance was a bit for a bike I only paid a little over 4k for but the coverage makes me feel pretty safe out there (since I got frame sliders I may drop the collision option next year - good call.)

Cheers.

#12 ·
I was checking rates on progressive and here are few interesting things I found -

1. I would save around $125-$150 pa on a 2009 brand new bike compared to 2010 same model.
2. ABS option only makes a difference of around $35.
3. Real trigger for price increase was CC. I changed the model from 696 to 1100 but I got he same price. The price did not go up until I changed the CC figure.
4. Naked bike insurance premium is almost half compared to supersport bikes.
5. Harleys have the lowest premium for brand new bikes.

#15 ·
I'm 36 married no accidents no tickets been driving 19 years clean record I ride a 2007 S4R. I have full coverage with Traders General and I've called around to ALOT of companies I do it every year to compare rates. The cheapest I've been quoted is $1417 a year. Up here in Toronto we can only ride safely 6 months. Companies demand you have to stay insured for the year. You cant cancel for the winter/off season. In Ontario Insurance companies rape you. Its the most frustrating thing. Hearing you Guys talk about $250-$500 a year kills me. Oh well, ride it like you stole it. (But safely)

#17 ·
Newer motorcycles have high insurance premium. A brand new 2010 crotch rocket would be atleast over $1k for a new rider. Cruisers and naked bikes are usually cheaper. Anyone thinking about buying a new motorcycle should take the insurance cost into account, the cost is significant for first few years.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.