Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to be able to change the weight distribution of me and my S4 combined, to move more of it more FORWARD.

I say this for 2 reasons:

1. The bike wheelies very easily with my 14/42 gearing (I like this gearing a lot, so don't suggest toning it down!)

2. On high speed sweepers, the tail end is not as secure as I'd like, and aomeone else with an S4 told me he solved that exact problem by putting more weight on the front via clipons and rearsets adjustments.

I realize I can probably do this via clipons and rearsets, but here are my OTHER wants that need to be met simultaneously:

1. I want to retain the ability to bring along a passenger occasionally, so want to keep a passenger peg capability

2. I have the Termignoni carbon high pipes, and have only 5.5" of room between the center of the swingarm pivot and the nearest point of the high exhaust pipe

3. I want to be able to replace the existing stock top triple tree plate with a nice CNC one (e.g. CycleCat), plus ADJUSTABLE clipons (again like the CycleCat ones)

Given those constraints, I'm looking for advice on:

1. Specificslly HOW do you determine how MUCH weight you need to shift?

2. Specifically HOW do you shift the weight? For example, it seems intuitive that moving the bar grips forward and down would seem helpful to get the weight more forward, but the rearset pegs have to move BACK don't they? (Otherwise you probably shift some weight from pegs to seat and move the weight distribution backwards rather than frontwards).

3. What bad things happen if you shift weight forward too much? I want any change I make to give predictable results for safety purposes.

Can someone out there educate me a bit?

JIm G

·
Premium Member
196 Posts
have you already done the requisite suspension/set-up adjustments? (sounds like you may already have).

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Mdozier: No, I have NOT set up the suspension. I don't know how to do it properly.

Yes, I have read the manual and can technically make adjustments front and rear, but I would be like a kid playing with a welding torch: unskilled and lots of potential for dangerous maladjustments.

I'm looking for some skilled advise.

Jim G

·
Registered
8,800 Posts
Generally, motorcycles are more stable in a straight line if the CG is further forward and/or lower, and also in the corners as well. That's why bikes often seem spooky with a passenger on board, the CG goes back and up.

Unless you're particularly heavy, I don't think you can go too far with forward weight using clipons and rearsets. Usually the rearsets move your feet rearward to make it more comfortable when you're leaned forward with clipons, and higher to give more cornering clearance.

G

·
For the first year I had my S4, I wasn't sure I liked it and did not ride it much. It always seemed "unplanted" when pressed in the corners (and I did spend the time to setup the suspension). Then, I added clipons and rear sets and it really transformed the bike. Still not a superbike, but it is planted in the corners. Those mods are well worth the time and effort on this bike.

Jim the weight shift resulting from rearsets/clipons is not intuative. The pegs, being farther back, cause the rider to reach for the handlebars. The riders CG is moved forward (and lower) as a result (think jockey instead of cowboy). I think there is an added benefit of the rider not levering at the handlebars when accelerating (reduces tank slapper potential greatly).

BTW, there are reasets out there with accomodations for passengers. I think S&P and RMC are a couple.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the feedback guys. Keep it coming.

I weigh about 215, so with my heavy riding gear on (leather jacket, boots, helmet, kevlar jeans) I'm sure I hit 225 or more.

I'm going right now to check out the link posted by TEvo!

Jim G

G

·
here's another vote for clip-ons and rearsets.
for rearsets, i dig the S&P's:

http://www.ducatipipemod.com/s4/mods/rearsets/

you can buy optional passenger sections that attach with two bolts. no issues with high-pipe clearance. i personally found the peg position to be real nice. i weighed about 205 when i had these on my bike and in conjunction with clip-ons, the bike felt excellent.
not quite as snazzy as the cyclecats but cheaper and very good quality bits.

for clip-ons, i'd suggest c'cats to mount under the top yoke. get the ones with 2" of rise and you should be good to go! you can machine the "ears" off your top triple without any structural issues. while you're at it, you can machine a bit of the "meat" out of them for a bit of a funky look:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts