Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a 1999, M900 Monster Cromo last summer from a guy who only put 2500 miles on it and said he was riding his Hayabusa all the time so he wanted to sell it. It was the most beautiful bike I'd ever seen.
I've heard there are only about 65 or so of these bikes in the USA. Does anyone know if this is just bullshit or not?
And as a second question, what would be the best tire combination for mountain roads and a semi-agressive rider.
Thanks all, for your help.
Jimmy

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Damn, that is so cool. Only 101 of those Cromo's in the US of A and I have one. Thanks for the help.

How about the tire question??

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
but everyone can buy the cromo tank and put on their M900 right?? I've seen it in auctions for about $800 for a new one.

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
620 Ie Monster DARK 2003 California telaio argento 195 195
620 Ie Monster DARK Argento 2003 California 185 185

??

·
Premium Member
613 Posts
ditto on the cromo here too. it's more than just the tank though, although not much. 99's were the better one if you like fully adjustable suspension bits, 01's had fuel injection. they both had CF bits on them.

My 01 didn't have the cf hugger from the dealer although the parts manual I downloaded from Ducati showed it should be CF so I had the dealer agree to send me a DP CF hugger. Since then I've noticed that almost every other 01 Cromo does not have a CF hugger, but the partts lists says they should, go figure.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks D-C for the tire recomendations. Actually, I'd just as soon not be putting "really sticky" tires on every couple thousand miles. I'll look into the Dunlops 220's.

·
Premium Member
6,957 Posts
Also check out the Avon Av45/46 for a sport-touring tire.

For something a little stickier (without going too crazy),
look at the Pirelly Diablo or Metzler M1 Sportec.

·
Registered
8,800 Posts
Michelin Pilot Roads seem to be a popular tire, falls into the higher mileage / 'not-so-sticky' category.

·
Premium Member
873 Posts
my 01 cromo did'nt come with a cf hugger either, but since I ditched the hugger and prefer the look without one, it's not an issue for me.
The cromo is beautiful and gets alot of attention, but I don't see it being all that special or rare in that If someone really wanted one, they could go out and get their tank chromed for a reasonable amount. My cromo does get more attention than my buddy's dark and my other friends 748 from people who don't know ducs. I really love the look, which of course I guess is obvious or I would'nt have one.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yea, but having your tank cromed is NOT the same as having an Origional Cromo. It's like bleaching your hair blond and callig yourself a Swed.

·
Premium Member
243 Posts
My 01 Cromo came with a carbon hugger but it is going to get trimmed down to show off the rear tire.

Metzler has replaced the Z4 with the Z6.
I may go with Z6 or Michelin Pilot Road on my 87 GSXR1100 for 18" wheel size reasons BUT will run Pilot Powers on the Cromo when they come out.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
can you tell if someone buy and put on a crome tank on their M900?? any other differents except the tank?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
"MonsterCromo" is decaled on the carbon fiber panel below the seat. But of course that is just a decal.
And doesn't it stipulate "Cromo" on the title and bill of sale?

·
Premium Member
613 Posts
Yes, VIN is special.

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
I saw one on Saturday up at The Wall, the guy is a member of the EBRMC, very nice guy and bike.

·
Registered
136 Posts
My 01 didn't have the cf hugger from the dealer although the parts manual I downloaded from Ducati showed it should be CF so I had the dealer agree to send me a DP CF hugger. Since then I've noticed that almost every other 01 Cromo does not have a CF hugger, but the partts lists says they should, go figure.
That's interesting. Mine didn't come with a CF rear hugger. I'm going to have to take that up with my dealer. :mad: Thanks for letting me know!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts