Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Stock exhaust = lame
Cool carbon exhaust = Cool & Expensive
Stock cans off Ebay = cheap and fun time hacking apart.

Installed my hack job several days ago. They are cut down about 4 inches, almost like Strati does on his web site. Wow they are fun, bike rides better, car alarms chirp and best of all sounds like a Ducati should ;D

I tend to wear earplugs on longer rides but never on the way to work (before the cutting, welding and grinding). I like to hear the traffic around me while commuting to work. Now they are so loud I must wear earplugs all the time. Is this normal with aftermarket cans or did I screw up?

N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
ear plugs... we don't need no stinkin ear plugs... :p After several warnings from Mr. Officer I'm thinking or parting with mine. (strati's mod) :'( I love them to death but can't see paying more in tickets than I did for the mod. Guess that would justify the LOUD factor...

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yep... they're definately LOUD which is why i've been recommending people go with the "1/2 mod"... much more reasonable. i've never gotten ticketted for the cans on my s4 but am reworking them regardless. the "1/2 mod" is the same setup but with a choker ring in the exhaust tip. keeps them to about the same noise level as aftermarket cans while the fully modified version's byfar louder. not "harley with straightpipes" loud, but the difference is a matter of displacement i think...
for what it's worth, a buddy with an s4 just got full sil motor system with 50mm tubing and they're actually DEFINATELY quieter than the cans i fully-modified for him. (in this case, quieter's definately better)...

·
Banned
3,931 Posts
I wear earplugs if I'll be riding more than about 10 minutes. My hearing is already damaged, but earplugs help keep it from getting much worse.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Can't ride with earplugs, I find it frightening. I like to hear my Monster roar, and hear the traffic around me. As far as it's audible above the roar of il mostro that is ::)

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
Well there's earplugs and there's earplugs.

I started with the 30 dB foam ones that attenuate everything severely. I agree that they suck the soul from the sound and limit situational awareness.

I now have some made by HearTech that are supposed to let you talk comfortably. They let more of the useful sound through while cutting the exhaust boom and helping a LOT with wind noise.

There are a lot of choices. If you try, you can find one that protects your hearing without depriving you of safety and aural pleasure.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
After 6000 miles I finally started to mess around with modifying the bike. I don't know why I have waited so long, but the exhaust should be the first mod, guess it's all downhill from here. ;)

On the plus side, it seems the cagers stay further away while taking on their cell phones. I have had more people ask 'is that a Ducati' in the last week than ever before. But, I was thinking about putting the 'choker ring' back as well, making them like the removable Staintune tips. This would keep my neighbors happy in the morning while she warms up. But the day they have another mid-week party like last month the tips are coming off real early in the morning. ::)

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
Rachel wears earplugs, all the time. Think she went deaf from that Thunderheader :) But, having been on a bike with a supertrapp and my bike with hookerheaders I would say the monster is a little more quiet. I have arrow pipes and they sound loud, but I have not needed the earplugs yet ;)

·
Registered
54 Posts
The intake noise is what hurts my ears when I'm riding fast. It is the reason I wear earplugs. I've tried about 5 different styles/brands. I have settled on the Israeli heartechs. Apparently they know their ear protection.

http://www.hear-tech.com/

W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
With all this discussion about hearing protection, it seems to me that some people equate the noise levels to the sound output of their pipes.

This is really a misnomer. You see, loud pipes only marginally add to the dangerous noise levels inside your helmet. The majority of the noise is from the wind. In other words, your hearing is safer on a bike at 20 MPH with open pipes than with any stock piped bike at highway speeds. The reason you don't notice it as much on the highway is because of the frequency of the sound. The lower frequency of the wind noise is actually quite loud. In some cases, as loud as a gunshot or a jet engine. We pay more attention to higher frequency sounds because they tend to make us uncomfortable. This is the reason emergency vehicles have sirens that seem to enter your ears and attack the base of your spine! Yet, a Duc or Harley, at an even higher dB sounds wonderful to many people. However, decibels are decibels. 120 dB at any frequency is damaging.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Wolvie you are right on the open highway open pipes don't add much noise to my commute. However, add the two tunnels and concrete walls along my commute, it can be VERY loud as the sound kind of reverberates around with no place to dissipate. It sounds really cool though, kind of echoing around.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
the louder the better :eek: only real men have loud pipes ;D

W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Daffe,
Hear, Hear!
(I couldn't resist either! And it ain't even Punday)

Silas,
Lincoln, Holland or Bklyn Battery...I know what you mean. Experienced it myself. And yes...it does sound NICE! However, I'm willing to bet that many of the readers here never experienced the sound of a free-breathing V-Twin in a 2+ mile tunnel!

·
Premium Member
4,093 Posts
Yes !! when a loud bike or car with good sounding , loud exhausts on it go by we just look at each other and say, "Ahhh!!! listen to that music!!!" My whole life has been surrounded by loud exhausts, my Dad had nothing but glass packs on eveything, so needless to say all our vehicles have loud pipes. Except the Monster but her turn is coming!!!!

·
Registered
33 Posts
How hard is it to core out some stock pipes w/o changing the legnth? Do you need any special tools? Is there some kind of site that someone could point me to that tells you how to do it? I want to get a pair off of ebay and try it out. But I don't think that the old lady will let me buy more than one pair (that's why I'm still sporting stock cans right now) so I want to try to get it right my first try. PS, amen about taking the bike in battery tunnel. It is dope, even with stock pipes. I'm riding out to Montauk on Tues if weather permits. --Jake

·
Banned
3,931 Posts
If you want to keep the full length and don't mind retaining the original weight of the cans, you can just drill some holes between the inner ring and the outer ring. Eight 1/4" holes lets the sound out nicely. I'm going to do this to a set soon and could take a few photos.

Otherwise, remove the mounting bracket from the can, find an old board (like a 2 x 4), grab hold of the aluminum outer skin, and start pounding the engine side of the can against the board. The skin will eventually start sliding off. On other Ducati models, you can slide it all the way off to get in there for your modifications. However, the Monster has curved tubes, so you only get about four inches to work with.

After seeing how much work is involved, sending the pipes to Strati starts to look like a really good deal, and he'll make them any length you want AND paint the aluminum shell black for you if you want as well.

You can drill holes in the end without even removing anything from the bike.

·
Registered
668 Posts
How hard is it to core out some stock pipes w/o changing the legnth? Do you need any special tools? Is there some kind of site that someone could point me to that tells you how to do it? I want to get a pair off of ebay and try it out. But I don't think that the old lady will let me buy more than one pair (that's why I'm still sporting stock cans right now) so I want to try to get it right my first try. PS, amen about taking the bike in battery tunnel. It is dope, even with stock pipes. I'm riding out to Montauk on Tues if weather permits. --Jake
Try out something I posted in the Low Dollar Pipe Mod -thread.
It is something Scott also mentioned before.
Especially if you have extra set of stocks.
I did not, but did it anyway.

Skier

1 - 20 of 35 Posts