Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Still have the one the bike came with from the dealer, 4800 regular street miles so far and I'm wondering when I should consider replacing it.

·
Registered
8,800 Posts
What kind of tires are they?

Rears can last from less than 3k up to 7k, depending on the tire, bike, and how it's ridden.

·
Banned
3,931 Posts
Best mileage on a rear tire so far: 4000 miles with a Bridgestone BT-020. Worst mileage so far: 2500 on a BT-010. The original Dunlop 204 on the 97 M900 made it to 3500 miles, but was completely bald and probably dangerous at that point. The Michelin Macadam made it to 3500 miles

I'm expecting to get 5000 or more miles from the current Avon AV46 that I have on the rear now. I love the Avon Azaro tires. I got a screw in the rear at 2500 miles, and since I paid for tire insurance when I bought the tire from Cycle Gear (first time ever doing that), they measured the tread depth, pronounced it close enough to 100%, and put on a new tire for just the cost of mounting plus the cost of renewing the tire insurance. Definitely cheaper than buying a new one, but I'll probably skip the insurance in the future. The point is that at 2500 miles, it still had lots of tread, unlike any previous rear tire I've had.

I've found similar mileage from the M900 or the ST2.

I'm constantly accelerating and slowing back down when I ride, plus I try to spend as much time leaned over as I can. If you cruise along at steady speeds most of the time, you should go further on your tires before wearing them out.

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
Man, that Scott's big time hard on tires ;D

I've gotten close to 10k miles each out of a Michelin Pilot Road and a Pilot Power!

Commuting, (not nearly enough) spirited twisties and a track day on each one.

Ready to spoon on another set right now. ;)

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
My 620 ahd Diablos with un known miels on them when I got it... max of 2400 though. I rung up 3600 more miles before selling it and the rear still ahve a good bit of life to it.

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
I've got 14K on my rear. Its pretty much trashed. As you can see, lots of miles but none really hard, I'm a poser [cheeky]

Click the pic for a close up

Attachments

·
Banned
1,053 Posts
i got 8k out of my first pilot power and 9k out of my 2nd.

I'm currious about their new two compound pilot, from what i understand it's the same old compound in the middle with softer on the shoulders. I've found the old tire to have plenty of grip, when i heard about the new series i had hoped they would go harder with the centers rather than softer on the shoulders....more mileage. I can't justify 15% more for a tire that has more grip than i need with no better mileage

·
Registered
8,324 Posts
I typically get 3500-4000 on a Michelin rear and double that on a front.

Pilot and Pilot Power

·
Premium Member
621 Posts
A lot of it just depends on how you ride. The more you use the outer area of the tire for cornering, the less wear the middle sees. And the more aggressive you are with the throttle or brake, the less life the tire will have. So, mathematically, tire life is inversly proportional to FUN!

·
Premium Member
1,988 Posts
I went through three fronts and six rears (one got a nail with 1000 mi.) on my s4r in 15,000 mi. If Ducati had tried to design a tire shredding machine they couldn't have done better.

Looks like the s4rs is good for about 2,500 mi. of regular use for a rear. I got better milage from the first rear because I was following the break in procedure. I've used two rears in 6,000 mi.

I seriously thinking of getting whatever it take to mount and balance my own. Back in the old days of K81's it took about 15 min. to take off the old tire and mount a new one.

LA

·
Registered
8,324 Posts
LA said:
I went through three fronts and six rears (one got a nail with 1000 mi.) on my s4r in 15,000 mi. If Ducati had tried to design a tire shredding machine they couldn't have done better.

Looks like the s4rs is good for about 2,500 mi. of regular use for a rear. I got better milage from the first rear because I was following the break in procedure. I've used two rears in 6,000 mi.

I seriously thinking of getting whatever it take to mount and balance my own. Back in the old days of K81's it took about 15 min. to take off the old tire and mount a new one.

LA
The newer tires are pretty easy depending on brand. Michelins are softer in the sidewall than Dunlops and are easier to R&R.

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
I did my own Pilot Powers last time. I didn't even need irons to put the new tires on!
Lubed 'em up with bead lube, climbed up on the workbench and stood on the sidewall. That was all it took.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Do you have the stock rims Crash? I would love to do my own, but would be concerned about damage to the rim(I have the marchesini 5 spoke). Either way, I love that you took the initiative to "do it yourself" and it worked out!! [laugh] Just picturing myself up on my workbench standing on my rim!!! Mike

·
Premium Member
497 Posts
I got about 6k out of a Diablo II.

CapnCrunch said:
i got 8k out of my first pilot power and 9k out of my 2nd.

I'm currious about their new two compound pilot, from what i understand it's the same old compound in the middle with softer on the shoulders. I've found the old tire to have plenty of grip, when i heard about the new series i had hoped they would go harder with the centers rather than softer on the shoulders....more mileage. I can't justify 15% more for a tire that has more grip than i need with no better mileage
I have the Dual Compound pilot power, I am very impressed with it. Compared to the Diablo that I was running before it is amazing.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.