Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think I read on the ducati suite page that jet kits start to wear out after 5k miles. My bike has six on it and its really starting to act up. It idles normally than if I rev it past 4k rpms it wants to stay around 4k. I have to choke it to get it to calm down. Once I do that it seems to idle okay again until I rev it. Any input?

·
Premium Member
3,677 Posts
Actually, you read that the "needle jets" can wear out. This has nothing to do with a "jet kit" and is a part of the OEM CV Mikunia carburetor. The needle jet is the "emulsion tube" that the fuel rides in from main jet up to the needle itself.

Factory Pro Tuning makes a plated needle jet that doesn't wear out do easily. Many shops inventory them.

chris

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
Actually, you read that the "needle jets" can wear out. This has nothing to do with a "jet kit" and is a part of the OEM CV Mikunia carburetor. The needle jet is the "emulsion tube" that the fuel rides in from main jet up to the needle itself.

Factory Pro Tuning makes a plated needle jet that doesn't wear out do easily. Many shops inventory them.

chris
My local ducati dealer told me he doesn't use/recommend factory brand kits specifically on the monster (he had rave reviews for every other make/model though) becuase on the monster specifically the needles aren't smooth and prematurely oval the needles. Is there any truth to this or has anyone ever heard this before?

·
Premium Member
3,677 Posts
Would be same for all brands of jet kits and will equally affect all carbureted Monsters and SSs. Problem with the Dynojet kits are that they're too dang rich...

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
Would be same for all brands of jet kits and will equally affect all carbureted Monsters and SSs. Problem with the Dynojet kits are that they're too dang rich...

No this guy said specifically "factory brand kit needles for all monsters" and I am wondering if this is just an opinion or if the needles in the factory kit actually do cause ovaling prematurely when compared to other brands.

Although he did mention they use dynojet but I likewise am new to the duc scene and don't know much about what's out there, just what my local tech told me.

·
Registered
45,105 Posts
on my bike, i used the Dynojet stage I kit with stock airbox. all i used from the kit is the needle and the main jet. i re-used the stock spring and needle jet. the bike runs well, plugs look good. clearly, if i used the whole kit, the bike would run "too dang rich". disclaimer: i am not claiming the bike runs better or worse than it would with the Factory kit.

B

·
0 Posts
the factory kits have ti needles that can wear the jets quickly. like in 100km in a couple of cases. exagerated if you put them in on old jets. like the jets mark the needles that then mark the jets, if you get my drift. the needles are then marked, so replacing the jets see them wear fairly quickly due to the marked needles.

i think the main issue is they aren't finished smooth enough in production. but it's not really consistant. marc claims the al needles do the same thing, but he doesn't anodize his al needles like the genuine ones are.

we've had some needles be nice to jets for 20,000 km. you change needle jets, the next set last 12,000 km. the next set 6,000 km. then you have to buy a new jet kit to get new needles as they won't sell you replacement needles only.

we usually polish the new needles length ways before fitting them, just to try to soften them somewhat. but i'm glad we don't do many anymore with everything being injected. i got to the point of worrying how fast it would go bad using the factory kits, becoz we get whined at when it does.

i was going to try dynojet, but they changed their needles to ti too. dunno how they last.

so the issue is wearing needle jets caused somewhat by the needles. altho marc at factory will vigourously deny his needles in any way lead to the problem.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts