Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
when you start it up? The low warning always bothers me.

·
Registered
2,310 Posts
I know how you feel (my last bike was a 2002 m750).

All I can say is that the kickstand bypass is ESSENTIAL. Otherwise you will go crazy sitting on the bike waiting for 5 minutes... I like to turn it on, then go get my helmet etc.

Another thing to keep in mind: dont leave your bike idling forever to help charge the battery. I used to do that, until I was recently told that the monster's alternator isnt strong enough to charge the battery unless you are above 1400 rpm
(not sure how true that is though).

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I read some thread somewhere about a racing team re-building a 2V engine. When they struck it up first time they timed how long it took for oil to make it's way upto the vertical cylinder head. They timed this at around 90 * seconds :eek:
The recommendation was to wait around this long before moving off / gunning the motor hard....

*I may be wrong on this, so smack my hand if i'm bullshitting, guys...

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Who needs neighbors?

Maybe they will move away and than you can really make some noise. ;D ;D ;D.

Tom.

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
Make sure you have your gloves and helmet on. As soon as it starts, rev it to the redline and dump the clutch.

This may be hard on the equipment, but at least you won't sit around bothering the neighbors with it idling. ;D

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just make sure you do it with your friend's bike. ;)

Hell, what are friend for? ;D

Tom.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
I read some thread somewhere about a racing team re-building a 2V engine.

·
Registered
3 Posts
When I start I put it on full choke/fast idle and almost immediately ride up an incline (from my apt garage) on out, where I will idle for about 30 secs. So from what I'm reading this is bad? I ride away immediately because its so loud and my garage really resonates the sound; if I slightly rev it, its sets a car alarm off. Just at the fast idle I can hear an alarm beep, you know that warning beep. But I suppose I can stay down there a bit, if its better for the bike.

And anyone out there know how to make your own sidestand bypass?

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks Dave for the correction / clarification !
...Simon

·
Registered
2,310 Posts
Ya, definetly dont just disengage the safety switch. I am always putting my bike into gear with the stand down and being suprised (and thankful!) when it shuts off.
I did the bypass by following the instructions I got from a link on a forum like this one (DUCATI.COM's forum [that is no longer up :'( ])

About the 2000 900 vs 2002 750; I like the 900 better in every way. Its got the dry clutch, the same feul injection, and way more power. But I honestly was never really using all the power in the 750 when I had it. I only sold it for financial reasons. When I was ready to get another one, I just figured I might as well go bigger.
I think you made the right choice going with the 2002 750, because the 1999 900 was carburated.

Anyway, like I said, once you get the bypass on the kickstand, it will be no problem letting it idle for 2 minutes.
I recommend letting it go until it stops saying 'low' on your temperature guage! Low, means the bike is too cold, as in its not warmed up yet

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I will have to do the bypass since wearing leathers for two minutes and not moving in hot weather will probably melt me like the Wicked Witch of the West in Oz.

·
Registered
204 Posts
By the way, does the cold-start lever only increase the idle speed, or does it change the mixture as well? I fouled a plug when mine (2003 M800S) was only about a month old, and I thought I was using too much "choke"-- now that I back it off sooner, I haven't had another foul but maybe that's just coincidence?

·
Registered
5 Posts
two minutes warming her up, then have your way with her 8)

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I start it with the choke/fast idle put my helmet and gloves
put it in 1st and as soon i'm moving remove the choke/fast idle and take it easy until the oil temp register.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I usually pull the choke all the way out, them move it back gradually as the bike warms up. This takes only a couple of minutes; in hot weather, it doesn't take as long. When it's cold, it's advisable to leave the choke on longer and give the bike more time to warm up. I also ride it slowly in the beginning. The temp reading usually shows "Low" for a few minutes; no big deal.

I also put a center stand on my bike since my wife and I have two bikes in our garage and it's better to keep them upright. That way I can let it warm up without having to straddle it.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I'd recommend getting the DP centre stand...perfect for warming up, perfect for parking the bike in any location, hills, grass, streets, sand......

1 - 20 of 23 Posts