Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In other words .. Im a newbie ( big time ) I have just brought a Monster Dark 750 2000 and I am still in the middle of getting my licsense.
So I guess my monster is waiting in the garage until I pass.
Its been a week already - I have started her up a few times but thats it - Im worried about battery going flat - if I leave it too long without riding.
Its very very cold her in the UK - so the weather is gonna put a downer on any rides at the mo - any tips on how to connect my datatool battery charger ? I know it sits underneath the seat - thats all I know :-[
So any tips on how to trickle charge & keep her up to speed when I pass my test in a few weeks ?

Cheers for any help ;)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This is going sound bad but - how do I do this - any basic instructions ?
Is there a "how to " list on here
- I downloded the manual but I can't even see where the battery is under seat - thats how fresh I am to monsters !

I know once I find it - I can just connect red & black etc - then forget about it until I start riding but - where is the frickin battery ?

Cheers!!

·
Registered
8,800 Posts
The battery is under the tank.

·
Banned
3,931 Posts
The answer to the original question is "about two weeks".

Buy the Battery Tender. Hook it up whenever the bike sits. No more battery problems.

·
Premium Member
3,364 Posts
Make sure that:

1) Tank's no more than half full before you lift it.
2) Always plug Battery Tender into bike before plugging into outlet & unplug in reverse (outlet first, bike last).
3) Try to avoid just starting bike without riding it.
4) Jastek Powerlet is a nice way to use a BMW plug to fit the charger - also works well with accessories

·
Banned
3,931 Posts
OT said:
2) Always plug Battery Tender into bike before plugging into outlet & unplug in reverse (outlet first, bike last).
Is there a good reason for this rule?

I just leave my Battery Tender plugged in all the time and switch it around between my bikes as needed. Or if I want to ride the one that it's hooked up to, I just unplug from the bike and go. Then when I get back I hook it back up to the bike.

So does Battery Tender warn against doing this, or do you have some other reason for saying so?

·
Registered
3,542 Posts
Scott R. Nelson said:
Is there a good reason for this rule?

I just leave my Battery Tender plugged in all the time and switch it around between my bikes as needed. Or if I want to ride the one that it's hooked up to, I just unplug from the bike and go. Then when I get back I hook it back up to the bike.

So does Battery Tender warn against doing this, or do you have some other reason for saying so?
They do indeed Scott. Item 1, page 3. But i think this is for the initial installation of the leads to the battery, not day to day use. FWIW, I just wheel my ST into the bike garage every night and plug it into the accessory outlet. I havnt unplugged the Tender since i started using it a month ago when i got the ST home. So far i havnt had a problem.

·
Banned
3,931 Posts
Thanks for the reference to the online manual. I don't think I have a printed copy, even though I have two Battery Tenders.

I also broke one other rule when I disassembled the Battery Tender Jr. I had torn a wire loose because I didn't drape the wire over the seat or handlebars and backed the bike out of my garage with it still attached. I soldered the wires back in place and continue to use it.

·
Premium Member
2,219 Posts
I have left my monster sitting for 2 weeks over summer with no issues. i think in the winter it would prob die around then.

this brings up another question i have. 2 people mentied using the accesories plug.

the wire on the tender is much thicker than the wire for my gerbings. i'm afriad i might start a fire, and both manufacturers say not to do that. has anyone had any issues doing that?
ie: hot acc plug or wire, fires, fire chief coming by slapping you for the fire hazzard...

·
Banned
1,235 Posts
Back in my 00 750 days, I had left it for 1 month in the New England winter w/ a simple cover outside. It snowed, then rained, then froze to below 5*.

started on the first crank, temp was 31* and rainy... :eek:

Q

·
Registered
3,542 Posts
Qfactor said:
Back in my 00 750 days, I had left it for 1 month in the New England winter w/ a simple cover outside. It snowed, then rained, then froze to below 5*.

started on the first crank, temp was 31* and rainy... :eek:

Q
I'm begining to think that the 2v motors are more compliant in this reguard. I never once installed a BT lead to my 620 and it never failed to start, no matter the temperture. I've had the ST4s for 1 1/2 months and have given up on 3-4 rides cause of non-starting issues related to the cold. I'm only complaining now becuase i havnt installed the parts yet to rememdy some of the bikes factory installed shortcomings, like inadequately sized wiring. Still, i wouldnt give up my ST4s for anything.

·
Premium Member
3,557 Posts
I'm under the impression that cold weather puts more of a drain on a sitting battery...

I wouldn't know anything about that, now that I'm out in Cali. ;)

·
Registered
8,800 Posts
Battery cranking capacity is very sensitive to temperature, the current that the battery supplies is 'made' by a chemical reaction.

Chemical reactions definitely proceed at a slower rate as the temperature drops...part of the reason we keep our food in refrigerators and freezers....

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.