Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
6,266 Posts
Say there S4 its tine for a new basket. May as well do the Barnett Aluminum clutch as well. Far less wear on the basket.

·
Premium Member
5,076 Posts
If the clutch isn't slipping & the noise doesn't bother you, leave it alone. Do buy some nice SS springs however. If you don't have a source, contact me. If you're on a budget, when it does start slipping or grabbing too much, pull it apart, deglaze the plates & shuffle the pack. If you're not on a budget, get a nice slipper clutch from Motowheels.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
hey norm, at aroudn 3K RPM as I let off the throttle and let it seltte, I do start to hear the plates, like I'm starting to pull the clutch in. I'm worried that I'll stall, but it never gets that far. Is this a sign of the clutch wearing ?

Anyone have an example of a bad clutch ??

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm looking to buy another frame for that project. I want a winter Strati project.

The s4 is gonna be my bling bling monster :)

The 996 is going to be my project junk bike. Time to go ebaying for any parts I need for it ...heck, I still need to figure out how to mod a frame to accept the engine

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
nah, I love my monster...LOVE it.....gonna keep the S4 for a very very long time. Especially after I put hte Ohlins fork and rear on it.

But now I'm trying to acquire a frame that I can stick this 996 engine in. Figure it will be a fun project. I would like to see how it compare to a S4R after its all done and finished. :)

·
Premium Member
5,076 Posts
My red monster has a clutch with over 25,000 miles on it & it rattles like a bucket of bolts, but.....it still works fine. I'm going to go for a world record with it.....100,000 miles??
If you're in no hurry for that project frame, give me about 2 months & get back to me.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
sounds good norm. I'm in no hurry at all. Still got to plan things out and do my research. I kinda like hte rattle noice (when I have the clutch in) but coming around corners slow speeed scares me when I hear them. I guess I'll start planning to budget in the cost of a nice lightweght clutch here soon.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I've got a vented clutch cover on my 900.
When the engine unloads a little the plates start to ding more than when working the motor harder.....sounds "normal" to me ! ;)

·
Registered
796 Posts
Your clutch basket looks fine to me, better than most Ive seen. If you want to know if your clutch is good, pull the pressure plate and post pics of the plates. Thats where youll see more wear.
You should see my basket, if you think yours is bad youd wonder how my bike was still rollin!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hey S4, it may have something to do with the 120,000 miles you got on that bike.

I got about 9k miles on mine, rattles loud at a light load, but still pulls and doesn't slip.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
well, funny thing is, the clutch has been replaced by the dealer a few times. The dash tach/speedo has been replaced as well. I nanked out at 121K miles.

This damn communte, 100 miles each way is killing me and the Duc. I might haev to get a VFR for hte commute. and keep the S4 for fun !

p.s. I did find out what was cuasing that sounds. It was my Ducati springs. I took them all out after I got some new ones from Chris Kelly. The barnett ones work great, although the pull is a little stronger. But the ducati stock springs were varying in length after I measured them. Off by 2mm on some !!!

Guess that explains why I got some rattle

·
Registered
447 Posts
Is that the price you have to pay for a dry clutch with a vented cover? I was wondering what the clutch looks like after being exposed to the elements. I love the sound and sound of the exposed clutch, but was curious what happens when the elements are let in.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts