Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I just pulled my bike into the garage comming from my night class. I noticed that part of the exhaust was glowing a dull red. The oil temp was up to 182 (celcius I'm assuming). Is this normal?

don

·
Registered
541 Posts
I hope it's not c otherwise your bike is runnign around at near 400 degrees....182 isn't really special it's not that hot.....I've had 195 on hot days....I don't think the warning comes on until 320....don't know aobut the glowing red though? cut down on the RPMS?

what's the make/model?

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
If the pipes were that hot it could mean the bike is extremely lean. The oil temp is fine. What make model and year?

·
Registered
181 Posts
"Warning - while you were typing a new reply has been posted. You may wish to review your post."

Damn, you all post too quickly

that 182 reading was int Fahrenheit, if it were Celsius there would be alot more problems then just a glowing exhaust. :eek:

How dark was your garage? Where, how brightly was the exhaust glowing?

I would say its either normal or your running a bit lean.
What year is the bike?

·
Registered
541 Posts
400......360 I was close for off the top of my head conversion

Pretty sure your bike is F.

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Mdriver said:
DukeOddy once shot an enemy plane down with his finger, by yelling. "bang" [laugh] [laugh] [laugh]

One of my favorites along with "DukeOddy puts the "laughter" in manslaughter" [laugh] [laugh]

·
Premium Member
2,219 Posts
my bike has been up to 300F..i had to pull over because i felt my legs burning.

i agree with the lean thing, that could be pretty bad.

·
Premium Member
778 Posts
Is your bike a 620? I used to have a 02' 620 and had the same thing happen to me once, when I let it warm up for too long. Was it only the front header pipe that was glowing or both? As far as temp goes I had seen up to 220F in the summer while driving in traffic.

·
Premium Member
1,764 Posts
dont sweat it, its just the DeVal coming out >:D

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
inspect the plugs - will tell you for certain if you are running lean
Basically like this:
Too Lean / Just Right / Too Rich

(plenty of info in tech thread + most of the plug manufactures have nice pics on their website so you can compare).

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yes all it was 182 F. Sorry, that's what I get for typing in front of the TV. It was just the front pipe that was glowing a dull red. My garage was very dark with just the head light of my 2003 620 little black duck illuminating the space.

don

·
Premium Member
4,093 Posts
my 620 has gotten up to 256 in traffic....but never had glowing pipes!!

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
...my had come to about 250 in traffic within first 100 miles of use (september). then up to 500 miles i've seen 220 sometimes

manual states that temp. high warning kicks in at 330 F ;) , so even if you had 350 for a while with todays high quality

full synthetic oils you should be fine. and pipe at the header do glow sometimes after a period of high revving- just a lot

of hot gases passing thru without having a chance to cool off instantly like at the high speed blazing >:D

cheers [thumbsup]

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks gentlemen,

I know that I read in the manual that I shouldn't sweat until the temp reacheds over 300 degrees but this is my first baby and I just need some confirmation that everything is all right. I am getting a little more comfortable riding and I'm begining to ride around more a little more aggressively so I may be reving the engine up and getting the heads of the tail pipe to glow a warm red color.

Cheers,
don

P.S.
Now I'm about to attempt to change the spark plugs and air filter for the first time this weekend myself. any tips on that would be a great addition to this motorcycle neophyte.

·
Premium Member
3,364 Posts
If the engine's too hot, the display will say HI...otherwise don't sweat it. I've heard the 6XX run a little warmer (hence the DP aftermarket oil cooler option)

At 182 F it's just warming up [thumbsup] Mine (1000) often hits 220-230 F, especially in traffic; 195-205 are typical cruising temperatures.

Odd that the front pipe would be glowing , as it's hanging out in the cooling breeze...

1 - 20 of 27 Posts