Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you guys have read any of my other posts, I'm looking to get a Monster in Jan when I move to California. My question is, how hard would it be to sell after owning it for two years if I get stationed someplace for an extended period and can't take it with me? I'll most likely take it with me or store it, but was wondering how hard it would be to sell the monster. I don't want to buy used b/c I would really like a warranty, but would like to lose as little money as possible if I have to sell it. Any help would be appreciated.

·
Premium Member
1,881 Posts
If you want a new one w/ a warranty, you'll get hosed on resale. That's a fact of life basically. This is your first bike too, right? Screw buying a new one, spend the money on gas and gear, get a mid-late 90s one that's been taken care of, and have fun with that. You're what 19 or something like that? You'll get absolutely molested on insurance if you buy a new bike anyhow. :p The money you save on that will more than pay for any repairs. Easily. Check it out if you don't believe me, it's a lot.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Savings on warranty work (that may or may not happen) won't compare to the savings you will make by buying used.

A lot of guys on this board bought used, so there is a market out there. You can just about sell anything if the price is right.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I just went to cycle trader, and there were alot more monsters than I thought there were for sale. If I got a 2000 or below, I could get the 900, which is very similar to the 800 (correct) and still have money to spend. Then again, the ones in the showroom are just so pretty.

·
Registered
2,310 Posts
My experience selling was sort of mixed. It took a long time to find anyone who was interested (1.5 months), but when someone did come, they were so in love with the bike that they bought it immediatly, for almost my full asking price...

Bottom line: not easy to find a buyer, but great resale value( I think I sold it for less than a thousand dollars less than I bought it for before tax, after riding it for a year.).

·
Premium Member
1,881 Posts
buying a first bike that's pretty quick [although not terribly intimidating] brand new is asking for trouble. unless you've got money to burn your insurance will run a couple grand a year and if/when you drop it you will cry. a 900 is more than you'll need as a beginner too. if you are careful w/ it you'll be fine but that's a fast first bike. monterey is often/always very damp too, so be careful on the wetness. I would recommend going pre-97 even. less loss on resale and cheaper to buy and insure.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts