Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it easy for the dealer to change the miles on the odometer? Is it common? How can you be sure of the true miles on a used bike?

Thanks,

Tom.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Re: How easy is it to change the odometer on a bik

Generally, it is illegal to tamper w/ mileage readings on a vehicle. Most states require a signed statement about a vehicle's mileage at time of sale. It would be a very large risk for a dealer to tamper w/ mileage readings. Not worth the time or risk.

·
Premium Member
200 Posts

I was looking at a used 2003 that a dealer had taken in trade from a member of this board. The mileage said 0 because the dealer had changed the gauge cluster. The previous owner told me what happened. The dealership was less than forthcoming with me, telling me a couple of different mileage amounts. I never did check the paperwork, but that should be the clincher if you are not sure.

I bought a new bike instead.

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

My gauge cluster was just replaced and I didn't realize until I left that my mileage reset. Is there any way to recover the actual data? I am going to aske the dealer but haven't yet?

·
Registered
1,836 Posts

Mine got reset as well with a new guage cluster. I only had about 1500 mi. on it at the time. I Have to keep track for the 6K service.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts