Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am curious, i am seriously looking at purchasing a 620ie for a first bike, and realize that simple drops happen, how does the bike handle that kind of stuff? Is it about the same as other bikes in this class? (sv650, gs500e, honda hawk gt, etc) I know that if you drop the bike you can dent the tank, but what else... I realize that if you low/high slide the bike it's going to be expensive, but what about a simple garage 'mistake'

·
Banned
3,931 Posts
Re: how durable is the Monster 620 in a simple dro

Typically, drops dent the tank, break off the front brake or clutch lever, sometimes bend the bars, and bend the shifter or rear brake pedal. Sometimes the turn signals break. If you're not moving, the pipes often go undamaged. It's rare to damage much else on a Monster if you're not moving very fast.

My M900 slid down the road at about 50 mph without scratching the frame or engine.

·
Premium Member
283 Posts

My recent 0mph drop bent the bars and the shift lever, broke the turn signal lens (but I'm gluing it back together), broke the clutch lever (but I'm JBWelding it back together) but spared the tank and other expensive bits. A lowside at 35 mph when I was cut off in traffic caused $4000 in warranty repair ($1600 of that was the dented tank). There is no question, parts are somewhat expensive. But I wouldn't let that keep you from getting one. Just get full coverage (relatively cheap on Monsters) and don't drop it like I did.

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

i will be getting full coverage, that is without question, I was just curious. How much are levers, and turn signal stuff if you do drop it?

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

thinking about drop a bike...

·
Premium Member
922 Posts

Typically, drops dent the tank, break off the front brake or clutch lever, sometimes bend the bars, and bend the shifter or rear brake pedal.

·
Registered
915 Posts

I've decided that I'm not going to drop mine to find out ;D

·
Registered
1,305 Posts

I dropped my M620 once. Bent the clutch lever, shift linkage, and shift lever. Replacements were about $120

No other damage

·
Registered
4,928 Posts
Do the cycle cat sliders ... >

prevent the tank from getting the characteristic dent if the bike goes down?

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Re: Do the cycle cat sliders ... >

prevent the tank from getting the characteristic dent if the bike goes down?
I want to know the same thing, Cycle cat also offers some bar sliders, but I am not sure what they do.. I know on a full fairing bike they can prevent the plastics from road rash

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

ok i will tell you from my many mishaps, ducati makes very durable bikes. first mishap, my clutch slipped on my honda while putting her in neutral and slammed into literleaner's s4r since it was parked in front on my car, it is on its rear stand. the front peg goes through my front bumper, not a scratch to the bike. second mishap, come to a stop on my 620, she tips over cause i end up off balance (i barely touch ground). third mishap, taking her off her rear stand (i know i am really ****ing clumsy) and she falls into literleaner's car doing about a grand in damage to the car, still no harm to my 620. i swear they are indistructable. oh and get cycle cat frame sliders, that has got to be my saving grace. ;D

L

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

ok i will tell you from my many mishaps, ducati makes very durable bikes.- and she falls into literleaner's car doing about a grand in damage to the car, still no harm to my 620. i swear they are indistructable. oh and get cycle cat frame sliders, that has got to be my saving grace.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts