Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
915 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I guess I should have just ordered those Scorpions that Chris had(too late now huh?)...but I've been looking for some slipons for my 620...and am wondering how you choose-- price, sound(sound files can't really do a pipe justice can they?)...I'm just looking around and really can't figure out, most people say "I bought x brand and they sound awesome", I've never read that they sound like crap...so what should I be looking for???

gnew

·
Premium Member
3,677 Posts
Hi Gnew,

I tell folks that you choose based upon the construction and features you are looking for. All "perf core" mufflers are going to be close enough to each other as to consider them equivalent.

Mufflers with welded on mounts will typically be a quicker and easier install but will cost a good bit more (like Staintune). Mufflers with "Straps" that wraparound like TBR and Scorpion will have more room for adjustment and should your bike not be exactly like their test fit bike, you will be able to adjust for this.

I just logged in to my vendor's website and the special pricing is still in effect. There are 2 sets left. Perhaps they extended the special until remaining stock is sold out? Or until another shipment arrives? Here's link to that thread

:) Chris

·
Registered
131 Posts
You also need to consider what type of setup you want. Do you like the hi-mount look or the low-mount (factory setup). After that, deciding what material, aluminum, stainless steel, carbon fiber, or titanium. The main consideration should be what you think looks good (power gains are minimal and comparable from brand to brand).

I decided I wanted to get hi-mounts in a brushed aluminum. I decided to go with Sil Moto's from Spareshack...I think it was around $600 shipped.

I think most will agree any aftermarket slip-on designed for the market will be an improvement from OEM...hard to make a bad decision.

Good luck....

W

·
0 Posts
I think these guys hit the nail on the head. There's something to be said about having sweet italian pipes on your sweet italian bike... personally, I'd avoid D&D pipes because lots of them have a Texas flag, but that's just me.

M

·
0 Posts
I miss my TBR's...they were politically incorrect on so many levels, the Remus cans are ok though

V

·
0 Posts
Like everyone said...Find the best deal and the look you want and go with that..I have Arrow CF slip-ons and they sound great and are very,very light...

·
Registered
1 Posts
my bike has been in the shop for the last couple of months and i got the ducati performance exhaust system still no word on how they sound or feel but i'll let u know tommrow when i pic the bike up on wed the 3rd.

S

·
0 Posts
I have Remus high-mounts and they sound incredible. A low tiger-like growl. Not too loud, though.

·
Premium Member
873 Posts
I have Hindle, cf , low mounts. Hindle is a Canadian company with a great reputation for racing cans. It would probably be worthwhile for americans to look into Hindle pipes as the price would likely work out well with the exchange rate in favour of the U.S dollar.

M

·
0 Posts
let me start by apologizing if all my questions are retarded or use the wrong terminology. here's the deal:

i want to surprise my boyfriend with high mount pipes, and have no idea where to begin. i've just wasted 2 full workdays researching tons of different options.

So far it seems like carbon fiber are the best? (or at least, i like them the best) or are titanium better? (the mentality i'm working on is if you're going to do it, might as well do it right...) I know he likes the look of the high ones (who doesn't really?) but i don't know if he likes the really loud ones, or if they make ones that are similar in sound to what comes with the stock monsters. (i guess that's what i'd go with???)

do you guys think this is even the kind of thing i can do as a surprise, considering i know absolutely nothing about what i should get him?

what i'd most like to do is get the Ducati Performance pipes, which i saw in their catalog, cause i figure they made the bike, they must make good mods. Anyone agree, disagree? And here's a real doosey - where/how do i buy them from ducati? authorized dealer? i don't have their catalog but could probably steal my boyfriend's one day when he's out ridiing. ;)

Any help is very much appreciated... in the end, i'd like him to be psyched about the gift, not disappointed that i didn't get the "right" ones. so thanks in advance!

·
Registered
915 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
monsteradmirer....first of all do you have a sister? Second of all, I would start a new thread, that way you will get a lot more looks for guys wanting to help a damsel in distress...

look at motowheels.com, if you register with them they will give you an extra discount...they seem to have some really good prices.

again, just start a new thread asking your question, you'll get plenty of advice.

gnew

S

·
0 Posts
Get the Ducati performance carbon fibers thats the only way to go loud fast and light weight..

Levi
2003 Monster 800

VROOM VROOM

·
Premium Member
3,677 Posts
I personally do not like carbon fiber on motorcycles. It doesn't hold up past 3 or so years. (this is my experience) Metal skinned mufflers are more durable. Aluminum and Stainless will be less expensive and Titanium will be more expensive.

Everyone selling exhaust slip-on on the market are offering pretty good quality product, so you basically cannot go wrong with any choice.

:) Chris

1 - 14 of 14 Posts