Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How do u clean your leather motorcycle suits & how often do u do it?
???
I was wondering if it gets a bit gamey after awhile? I usually wear leather jacket which I wipe with those disinfective wipes, and my leather riding pants are washable so I just throw in wash & then dryer. Are the leather motorcycle suits a pain to clean?

·
Premium Member
6,906 Posts
Well, my A* suit has a removable liner, so I can just throw that in the wash. For bug removal and general cleaning I use saddle soap on the exterior.

I had a little get-off at Sears Point and landed in a mud bog (those of you present can stop laughing now!) and had to take the suit to a professional leather cleaner to get all the mud out of the cracks and perforations. Cost me about a hundred bucks, and came back looking like new. I might do that in another year or so. (Really, you're at the track, does anyone care how you smell? ;) )

FWIW, I always wear UnderArmor or silkweight Capilene under the suit (long sleeve top & bottoms). It absorbs the sweat and makes the suit easier to get on and off, plus reduces the 'stink' factor I think.

·
Premium Member
102 Posts
For the outside, I use a wet sponge and rub off the bugs, dirt, etc. I then give it a nice coat of Lexol. I've used lots of leather cleaners/preservatives of the years, but I always come back to Lexol.

If you put your leathers in front of a fan after riding, and prop them open so they can air out better, it makes a world of difference on how the inside dries out. The worst thing you can do with them is just throw them in the corner....

·
Premium Member
429 Posts
Should we clean them???

:eek: :eek:

·
Premium Member
779 Posts
I just use a little water to wash off the bugs. If they are harder to remove, I'll use the lexol leather cleaner. Afterwards I use the lexol conditioner and give it a good wipe down to replace any oils I washed off using the cleaner.

Michael Moore said:
I had a little get-off at Sears Point and landed in a mud bog (those of you present can stop laughing now!)
[laugh] [laugh] [laugh]
What was the nickname again? Wasn't it swamp thing? I'm sure there's a picture somewhere around here...

·
Registered
2,283 Posts
After every sunday ride I wipe the bugs off with a wet cloth and then dry. After drying I apply saddle wax/cream everywhere on the leather surfaces and let it soak in overnight. I then wipe off the excess the following day. The liner gets a good wash every few months.

·
Registered
6,149 Posts
ptam28 said:
What was the nickname again? Wasn't it swamp thing? I'm sure there's a picture somewhere around here...
threadjack

i let a buddy of mine ride my monster for a lap at the track (he's a very talented rider) - and he road it through some mud
it was dubbed the Mudcati after that

/threadjack

·
Registered
6,149 Posts
ohhh
i get why you would clean your leathers
when you O instead of * when going into a corner too hot. [cheeky]
otherwise, why clean them?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts