Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm posting pics of my belts, chain, sprockets, rear tire, and air hose. I need some help to know what condition these are in.

Is it normal for the belt covers to have worn off belt shavings on the inside?

The chain might look worse than it actually is. I swear there wasn't a speck of oxidation before I took my deadly 500-mile journey to Spokane, the whole way through 20 degree fog.

I don't think I need anyone to tell me that I need a new rear tire, but I was wondering how much I had left. No jokes about poultry and their associated strips, the tire was basically like that when I bought the bike. The freeway trip doesn't help either.

Attachments

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
The rest

Attachments

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah the problem is that i bought used a month ago and the only maintenance records I could find are for installing the termis and jetting. I have no idea whatsoever when anything was ever done, although the seller claims that all the service was done at 18K miles. I just wanted to double check so I could feel more sure about it.

So the sprockets def look bad?

·
Registered
276 Posts
red duke said:
Binding links on a chain is the end. Time for new chain and sprockets.

As far as the timing belt, I'd replace it anyway so you know for sure it's been done.

+1 again! Start your servicing as if nothing's been done - do the belts,oil & filter, chain & sprockets (and fit a Scottoiler...) brake and clutch fluid, check the plugs and everything that can be lubricated - you won't do any harm, and while it all costs money it's all a lot less than the results of not doing it.....

·
Registered
290 Posts
Yes, chain needs to go,sprocket looks so so. If your replacing the chain, I would replace sprocket too.New chain,New sprocket =good tight fit.. Keep an eye on that hose too,it looks like its starting to bulg and crack. [thumbsup]

·
Premium Member
1,386 Posts

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Aguacate said:
I have no idea whatsoever when anything was ever done,
I always heed the advice "When in doubt, change it out". Like others said, this way you know that it got done and when it got done. Then you can start your maintenance program from there.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
SCDuc said:
Yes, chain needs to go,sprocket looks so so. If your replacing the chain, I would replace sprocket too.New chain,New sprocket =good tight fit.. Keep an eye on that hose too,it looks like its starting to bulg and crack. [thumbsup]
Anything I can do to heal the hose up (like super glue?) What's that hose anyway? It goes from airbox to right past the tank, leftside.

·
Registered
45,105 Posts
I'll be a dissenting voice here, I'd put that tyre on my "needs replacing sometime, but not immediately" list.

I'd clean and lube the chain, then tension it correctly, then I'd keep and eye on the tension for a while - in my experience a chain usually needs adjusting once or twice fairly soon after its first installed new, then it just stays right for a long time, then once it starts needing adjusting again it'll need it about every 1000km (600ish miles) or so until you replace it. That surface rust will clean off pretty eaily, and so long as those kinks work out when it's claned and lubed, I'd happily run that chain till it starts stretching...

I'd leave that sprocket until I decided the chain needed replacing.

I'll agree with the other posts on the cam belts though - if you've got no records of when they were replaced last, get them done soon-ish - I wouldn't let it stop me from riding it around for a while, but I probably wouldn't plan a weekend away or a long trip or a trackday until I knew they were done.

big

·
Registered
45,105 Posts
Aguacate said:
Anything I can do to heal the hose up (like super glue?) What's that hose anyway? It goes from airbox to right past the tank, leftside.
That hose is part of the crankcase breather system - there's a spigot with a reed valve just inside the righthand footpeg braket on the top of the engine case with a hose that leads back to a grey plastic catch tank behind the left hand side cover. The hose you've pictured runs from that catch tank back into the airbox. (see page 78 of the parts diagram pdf for the '00 750 available on ducati.com) Since it's usually ful of oil vapour and any cracks are likely to be contaminated with that, I suspect it's going to be hard to get anything to seal well. I'd probably try rubber weld tape first if mine was cracks (also known as "self amalgamating tape", its a non-sticky rubbery tape that you stretch out to about twice its static length, then wrap it back onto itself and it sticks ti itself _really_ well).

big

·
Registered
276 Posts
If you aren't planning on removing the pods yet ( see http://www.ducatisuite.com/pods.html) I'm sure someone who has done it will donate the hose - I can't find mine at the moment (and I'm in the UK...) +1 on the chain, though - it's not too hard to see how bad it is once it's cleaned and lubed, and is less likely to lead to disaster than neglected cam belts or oil changes!

·
Premium Member
195 Posts
I agree with big on most of those things...

The tire does not look dangerous to me. Start planning for the replacement now, based on how often you ride.

The chain is hard to tell from just pics. Service the chain before your next ride. Like someone else said - if any links are binding, replace it immediately; otherwise, keep it on a tight service schedule until it does need to be replaced.

The sprocket looks fine to me. However, I do like the idea of changing the sprocket & chain together whenever the chain does need to be replaced.

That breather hose - just replace it soon. Bulk hose is very, very inexpensive. Problems caused by leaks (particularly from vacuum lines) can be difficult to diagnose. You're talking about a replacement that is less than the cost of a tank of gas.

The belts look ok, but who knows how old they are? Check the tension and make that right now. Then, replace them on the first change schedule (12k miles). If you're not sure of the age of those belts and suspect that they may be older than 12k, I'd replace them as soon as you can, and definately no later than your next scheduled 3k oil change.

Have fun maintiaining your bike. It's a hell of a great feeling, the confidence in your bike's dependability simply because you perform the work on it yourself. It also builds assurance that you know your bike well enough to address many on-the road mechanical headaches in the unfortunate event that they do happen.

·
Premium Member
813 Posts
I had the same thing with my bike when I bought it. The chain had surface rust on it and a few links were binding. I spent sometime cleaning and lubing it. It worked OK for a few miles but the links would keep binding. I was able to keep the spockets because they were fairly new.

And so far no problems.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Couple more things. When I spilled the oil out for my valve adjustment, it looked a little dark to me (for being not quite 1000 miles old). On my finger it doesn't seem as bad, but what do you think?

Spark plug?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Oil looks fine, still see-through. The plug though, is there oil on it? Have to see a better closeup of the tip for better determination but looks fine.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts