Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,833 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
00 M900. One of the two tiny screws that holds the gauge face to the guts of the gauge has come loose, and fell down to where the needle points when the bike isn't running. I pulled the pod off the bike, and have both gauges mostly out of the pod- enough to work on them. How do i access the area i need to? The black trim ring that (looks like) retains the clear "window" i think is either glued in place, or snaps in place. There are no screws, nuts or bolts to remove from the back of the gauge. I don't want to start prying on things only to have something break and cost too much to replace. Help!

Kevin

·
Premium Member
3,833 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
And another thing, where can i find exploded diagrams of my bike? There was a link posted a while ago, but the search function turns up nada. If it helps, it was a .pdf of the bike, with exploded diagrams and part numbers. Thanks again,

Kevin

·
Premium Member
114 Posts
I actually had the same problem.....if I'm not mistaken however, the instruments are sealed, and therefore, you won't really be able to get to either of those two small screws....if anyone has any suggestions (other than get a new tach), i'd certainly be interested as well! :)

D

·
0 Posts
Take it to a speedometer repair shop, they have the tools/
knowledge to unroll the bezel and fix the problem. Cheaper than a new tach.

·
Premium Member
3,833 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Take it to a speedometer repair shop, they have the tools/
knowledge to unroll the bezel and fix the problem. Cheaper than a new tach.

Ive never even heard of a place like this. Do I just look in the yellow pages?

Kevin

T

·
0 Posts
I have the same bike 2000 m900 and had the same problem. The tach is sealed. What I did is take it out of the gauge pod and cut the thing apart with my dremel right behind the face of the outer ring. Not through the cylinder but more around the actual ring, if that makes any sense. Then I was able to take the face off and put the two screws back in (lock tite this time). Then if your needle has fallen off, make sure you plug in the tach and turn your bike on before you press the needle back in place, because otherwise your tach will not read zero when you turn it on. Then I JB welded the face back on. I made the mistake of pressing the needle on and then JB welding it, and then plugging it in, and when I turned the bike on I was stuck at 3000rpm. I hope this all makes sense.

·
Premium Member
3,833 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have the same bike 2000 m900 and had the same problem. The tach is sealed. What I did is take it out of the gauge pod and cut the thing apart with my dremel right behind the face of the outer ring. Not through the cylinder but more around the actual ring, if that makes any sense. Then I was able to take the face off and put the two screws back in (lock tite this time). Then if your needle has fallen off, make sure you plug in the tach and turn your bike on before you press the needle back in place, because otherwise your tach will not read zero when you turn it on. Then I JB welded the face back on. I made the mistake of pressing the needle on and then JB welding it, and then plugging it in, and when I turned the bike on I was stuck at 3000rpm. I hope this all makes sense.
Yes, that makes sense. Its more invasive than i was hoping for though. Any ideas on how these are assembled? Are they glued? Snapped?

Kevin

·
Registered
27 Posts
I actually took the covers off of my tach and my speedo when I first got the bike. There were 4 points of sealing by glue. I put a small screw driver between the 2 and genly twisted/pryed them apart. Each of the 4 points broke away from each other and the lens covers came right off. Then I used silicon adhesive to put them back together. In case I ever have to take them apart in the future, they'll be easy to separate. The only thing you have to be careful of is not cracking the outer ring. Just don't apply too much pressure and watch it closely. If it starts to crack, the glue is pretty strong and move on to another spot.

If you do end up breaking the plastic bezzel ring, you can cover them with chrome accent covers made for Buells. Any HD shop will cary them for about $5 a piece and they look great. Paintable too! :D

Cheers!

·
Premium Member
3,833 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I actually took the covers off of my tach and my speedo when I first got the bike.

·
Premium Member
3,833 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well, I still wasn't able to get the damn thing apart. I found out a new one is $320. Rediculous. These bikes are supposed to be quality, and for the most part seem to be. I find this really poor that this screw came loose and there's no easy way to fix it. Im writing a letter to Ducati.

Kevin

·
Registered
97 Posts
before you do anything drastic, try bringing it in to your local dealer. i also have a 00 M900 and this exact same thing happened to me 6 months ago. i believe that DNA is aware of this issue because my dealer was able to get me a "good faith" warranty on the tach, he only charged me for labor to install it. good luck, and i understand your frustration ;)

·
Premium Member
3,833 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

·
Premium Member
3,833 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
before you do anything drastic, try bringing it in to your local dealer. i also have a 00 M900 and this exact same thing happened to me 6 months ago. i believe that DNA is aware of this issue because my dealer was able to get me a "good faith" warranty on the tach, he only charged me for labor to install it.

L

·
0 Posts
I had the same problem. Its ironic that the screw in my 2000 900 didnt fall out until two days after I first read this thread.

Anyway, In taking my bezels off to tighten the screws I marred up the outer ring pretty bad. I used contact automotive trim adhesive to put it back on and it looked OK, But far from perfect. The edges were all wavy from jewelers screw driver marks.

I rode my Monster to work yesterday and went By Earls Smalls Harley shop in Atlanta at lunch to see what I could come up with. To my surprise they had a Set of chrome plated metal bezels on the wall for 12.00 for the set. And the size looked very close to what I needed. So I bought them.

When I got home last night I took the instrument cluster back off and pulled the tach bezel back off to see just how close the New Harley(Made in Tiawan BTW, lol) bezel would fit. DAMN, It fits perfect, It was real tight and I almost couldnt get it back off. Only problem is that it doesnt have the glass. Where the Duc gauge is completely sealed and the glass is part of the face. Harleys are Sealed and the glass is part of the gauge and the bezel can be easily pulled off and replaced.

So, I went to Home Depot this morning and picked up a small piece of lexan. It is the same thickness as the Duc lens and should work fine. I just have to figure out how to cut it. I have several ideas that I think will work..

I'll post some pics when Im done , I think it will look steller with the chrome rings. I'll also post the Harley p/n that i used for the bezels.

Harley also sells aftermarket replacement lenses, but the turn around on the order was next week. I think they are $12 a piece. Im impatient and decided to make my own.

Cheers,
Malcolm

·
Premium Member
114 Posts
awesome Malcolm! Hope it works out....do provide some pics as I think a few of us may be following your example here :)

L

·
0 Posts
Here's what I came up with on the New Chrome Harley Bezel conversion.

I tried several techniques to cut the plexiglass for the new gauge lenses, but this is the technique that worked best.

1) Used the bottom of Mothers mag wheel polish to draw the circle on the Plexi. It just happened to be the perfect size to fit inside the gauge bezel.
2) Cut out the Plexi with Tin snips leaving about 1/8 inch of material between the cut and the line I drew.
3) Take the cut plexi to the Bench grinder and grind it down to the Line.
4) clean up the edges with a file.
5) Pulled the protective film off both sides of the Plexi
6) Washed them in the sink and cleaned up the edges as needed.
7) Dried them with a hair dryer because EVERYTHING else I tried would leave lint on the glass. Hair dryer worked great!
8) Put a small amount Automotive trim adhesive on the Plexi and place it on the gauge,(Centered, of course)
9) I put four dabs of adhesive on the Bezel and popped it back on the gauge cluster. Its a Very tight fit and had to put it face down on the floor and pop the edges with a flat blade screwdriver, using that palm of my hand to hit the back of the screwdriver.
10) let it dry for an hour and reassembled.

The only issue I had after I got it back together was the Speedometer lens was a hair to tight and the needle wouldnt move. I pulled the bezel up a hair and it started working again.

I think it looks fantastic but I dont think it will be water tight. Water resistant maybe but I will have to be a little careful when washing the bike.

Here are a few pics I put up on Yahoo. I think you will need a Yahoo account to access these.
http://tinyurl.com/ypey8

http://tinyurl.com/2whwu

http://tinyurl.com/3e4ee

http://tinyurl.com/35xho

1 - 18 of 18 Posts