Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm replacing the rear brake foot control on my Monster 696. I've got everything apart and know how to get it back together, but I'm having a hell of a time seating the spring into place. When I seat it properly on the back of the lever and on the back of the mount, I can't get the damn pivot bolt into it's socket! Is there a tool I can use to compress the spring so it doesn't give me so much resistance?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
83 Posts
Been There

Hey sorry to hear the trouble your having.:mad: I went through the same thing when I had a set powder coated. It actually took two of us, but one of our techs had a trick spring hook that helped. It definitely required a lot of patience. I am a 696 owner myself, so feel free to contact us with any Q's.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Glad I'm not the only one

Well I'm glad it's not just me. I'll see if I can enlist another pair of hands. I wish I had a lift, it would definitely make this whole thing easier.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
635 Posts
Take the rear set down and mount the spring on the lever and just just a screwdriver as a lever and hook the spring on the other end and then reassemble the rear set... It works for my M620... and other bikes ...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
62 Posts
I experienced similar situatiuon yesterday installing Rizoma rearsets on my 1100. I ended up using a wood working clamp to compress the spring. I also had another person helping.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5 Posts
Well, for anyone else that is going through this, I found a little trick that worked. ('13 M696) i was trying mount the assembly with the bolt sticking out too far. Just leave enough of the bolt sticking out that you can feel the hole when you've got it. (Keep the sick comments to a dull roar). I used some heavy duty pliers to keep the non-brake side of the spring in place, which didn't need a lot of force. Once I got it lined up, just pushed the bolt in enough to hand tighten, ratcheted it in a little ways to make sure that the brake signal micro switch was working right, and put it in all the way. All systems go from there. It only took me about 3 more tries after leaving the bolt in the assembly.
 
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Top