Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just informed that my S2R has tipped over due to the wind. I haven't seen the bike yet so I don't know what the damage is. It has a cover on it (which may have helped the wind grab a hold of the bike) and a set of frame sliders so hopefully it's not too scratched up although it's probably banged up in a few places. My question is: would a stand be sufficient to keep it from tipping? If so would a SSS rear stand or front stand be better?

PS - I've never dropped my bike but this is the second time it's been down. The first time was my father-in-law doing a 0 mph u-turn.

·
Banned
1,620 Posts
My bike got blown over by the wind when I first got it. The bike stood almost vertical on the sidestand. Once I jacked up the rear spring pre-load, it sat better. I have a SSS rear stand which is rock solid. There is no way the wind would be able to blow it over. But, I wouldn't leave the bike outside with it, unless the stand was chained to something.

·
Registered
45,105 Posts
Depending on how high your rear-end is, there are aftermarket sidestands of different lengths to get the bike to sit at the appropriate angle.

My wife's 620 sits almost upright. My s4rs leans so far left it scares me. Hers will go over before mine depending on wind direction. Guess I should look into those stands myself.

Chris

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
There's those wheel lock front stands like what dealers use. They're pretty expensive but solid as a rock and a u-lock around the stand/ front wheel will keep anyone from making off with either.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I can see how the cover might act like a sail, but I wouldn't bet too much on it. Some people back up into bikes and then drive away. Or maybe it was some teenagers with too much time on their hands. I think it's time to play detective... :police: As for the wind I would recommend parking next to a wall or other large solid object to block the wind and also be aware of wind direction and weather forecasts... 8)

·
Registered
4,928 Posts
erkishhorde said:
There's those wheel lock front stands like what dealers use. They're pretty expensive but solid as a rock and a u-lock around the stand/ front wheel will keep anyone from making off with either.
Baxley chocks rock. [thumbsup]

·
Premium Member
1,579 Posts
I've had my little enduro get knocked over by the wind, with cover on. Now if it's really windy I take the cover off the Monster. I'd rather clean the bike up from a little rain than have it knocked over.

David B.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Get a rear stand. The SSS type stands go through the rear axle and they are rock solid.

If you take a couple of U bolts, you can put a wide pice of plywood on the stand which will further anchor it.

Also, look into those front wheel chocks someone else mentioned, which will secure the front and also allow you to lock it. I can't imagine wind knocking it over -- where do you live??

The DP type SSS stand is the best, IMHO. The axle pin fits like a glove.

·
Premium Member
922 Posts
Do you have a self-retracting sidestand? Mine fell a few times when blown or bumped, and the load was taken off the stand just enough to allow it to retract. I cut off the nub that tensions the self retractor spring and it has not fallen since.

·
Premium Member
778 Posts
It was most likely from the cover. My last bike blew over from 60mph winds because of the cover. I had to get a new frame and 2 parts of the fairing, which was all covered by my insurance minus the deductible. Now I take the cover off my monster if it gets the least bit windy.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Clopstyle said:
It was most likely from the cover. My last bike blew over from 60mph winds because of the cover. I had to get a new frame and 2 parts of the fairing, which was all covered by my insurance minus the deductible. Now I take the cover off my monster if it gets the least bit windy.
that's just crazy -- a bent frame from a non-moving drop???

did you have frame sliders?

if you get 60 mph winds, maybe you should put tiedowns on it too!

·
Registered
665 Posts
ducatania said:

Mesmerizing....

can't.... stop............. watching.............................. :p

1 - 16 of 16 Posts