Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ouch! I was riding my new 696 as much as possible this first winter when I found some gnarly scratches in my tank. I guess a tiny rock lodged between my knee pad and tank while riding and gave my new bike it's first good set of scratches. On the way out next time, I spotted it, gave it a quick wipe down and waxing. Unfortunately once I looked at it closely in sunlight, it looks worse.

I found some stuff on line about the process pertaining to cars; rubbing compound 1st stroking parallel to the scratches, then buff in circles, then wax. And viola! no more scratches. Hah. I don't think it'll be that easy.

My scratches show white at the bottom of them, there are 2 or 3 deep ones, 1 1/2 to 2 1/2 inches long and lots of smaller ones. My tank is red and PLASTIC as it's the new 696 with the tank covers.

Any pro's out there who know just what to do?? I'd like to restore it to it's gleaming new status before Spring.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
201 Posts
Ouch! I was riding my new 696 as much as possible this first winter when I found some gnarly scratches in my tank. I guess a tiny rock lodged between my knee pad and tank while riding and gave my new bike it's first good set of scratches. On the way out next time, I spotted it, gave it a quick wipe down and waxing. Unfortunately once I looked at it closely in sunlight, it looks worse.

I found some stuff on line about the process pertaining to cars; rubbing compound 1st stroking parallel to the scratches, then buff in circles, then wax. And viola! no more scratches. Hah. I don't think it'll be that easy.

My scratches show white at the bottom of them, there are 2 or 3 deep ones, 1 1/2 to 2 1/2 inches long and lots of smaller ones. My tank is red and PLASTIC as it's the new 696 with the tank covers.

Any pro's out there who know just what to do?? I'd like to restore it to it's gleaming new status before Spring.

Thanks!
Hard to say without looking at it, but sounds like you scratched through the color down to the primer or possibly into the panel itself; in which case the only option may be to repaint the panel. (Aren't they removable on the 696?) Since it's scratched and possibly beyond repair anyway (short of a repaint), you could try the technique described above. Good luck.

·
Registered
69 Posts
This is very hard to judge without pics or seeing it in person. If you have a buffer then you could wet sand and buff the light scratches out. More often than not you can't buff them by hand and do a good job. If you don't have a buffer, take it to a body shop and ask them to buff out what will come out. The deeper stuff will need to have paint applied. Depending on your degree of anal retention you may be happy with some color matched touch up. If not then a repaint will be the next step. Try the buff and touch up first and decide from there, it won't cost much so no reason not to try it. Good luck.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Plastic Renew...... its' <$20 and can be found in motorcycle shops and on the net. I've seen dirt bikes use it to restore their plastic prior to selling their bikes. Lot's of elbowgrease, PR and you'll be good to go.

Mahalo

·
Premium Member
201 Posts
Plastic Renew...... its' <$20 and can be found in motorcycle shops and on the net. I've seen dirt bikes use it to restore their plastic prior to selling their bikes. Lot's of elbowgrease, PR and you'll be good to go.

Mahalo
Maybe. Maybe not. Plastic Renew works on those scratches because most plastic on dirt bikes is molded in color. Don't think that's the case with the panels on the 696. I believe they're painted so vigorous use of Plastic Renew will likely remove the paint.

Best bet might be to remove the panel (if they're removable on the 696) and see if you can get a friendly body shop to color sand (wet sand with 600 to 800 grit) and buff it out. If all the scratches don't come out, you're no worse off for trying. Unless they totally screw it up of course in which case you'll need a repaint anyway.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the tips!

Thanks for the tips, guys. It's my first nice bike and it's sucks to have scratches on one of the more visible parts of the bike. It rains 8 months out of the year here in Portland, Oregon, and I couldn't just let this new sweet bike just sit there. Sometimes I wish I had bought an enduro/dual-sport bike so I wouldn't be so concerned with little dings and scratches... (Maybe I just need a 2nd bike?)

I'll think I'll run it by some body shops and see what they think. Too bad the bike's stock fenders don't do squat for protecting from road spray/rock nicks. I'm actually going to use this bike for a few longer adventures and have already purchased the Ducati distributed panniers and top case for light touring. I live in a primo area for scenic rides and can't wait to tour the Pacific Northwest this season. I just hope the bike will take the long miles well. It's not uncommon for me to encounter paved roads that become dirt for a few miles until they cross a ridge and turn back to pavement again. With the road surface often wet here, grit and junk are unavoidable.

I always wanted a Ducati though, and being my first nice bike in decades, it was a good first choice for a 90% hobby-sport/commuter application.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Sorry, but once the scratch has gone through the paint into the plastic it's too late for rubbing and buffing. Repaint if it really bothers you, but you'll probably get additional scratches while on your upcoming adventures.

·
Premium Member
301 Posts
Yes the panels are removable on the 696. It would be hard to tell without looking at them, but take it off (takes maybe 5 minutes) and run it by a body shop would probably be your best option.

As for touring, I'd suggest getting those handle bars raised a bit but after that it should be just fine. I've done a few 200+ mile days on mine, and although my arms hurt I was fine. I plan on putting risers on this summer, and hopefully that'll help me with the longer days. I like your second bike idea though, I have a second one for touring.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Riser Bars

I asked the head mechanic at the dealer where I bought the 696 about riser bars when I was first considering the bike. After closer inspection, it's apparent that any rise in the grips would need to be significant - or the switch gear would strike the tank (yes, you could limit the range of steering instead). A 3-4" rise would clear the tank (I think), but would have also brought on complications with the cables and hoses as they're cut to length and pretty tidy at that.

I've been able to live with the position just fine but have yet to ride more that 2 hrs at a stint. My expectation is to have to stop, stretch and rest every 2-2/12 hours which is fine by me - I like to stop and smell the roses anyway.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hey at least you don't have a scratched foot rest/hanger.

Just discovered it on my bike about a few days ago. :( Does the foot rest scratch up easy? I have a hunch it was not an accident. I seriously doubt it was my boots that scratched up the foot rest/hanger. Anyways it going to cost me $200+ bucks to order a new one.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts