Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8,800 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this is totally [email protected]<kin' insane, but how about a SCMHA club track day bike? Maybe an elderly, I.E. cheap, M900?

That way we don't risk binning our shiny street stuff. Well, any more than we do now....

Yeah, yeah, yeah, I probably suffered a mild head injury today (that I don't remember) to come up with that clinker.

And, no, I'm not volunteering to buy it....

S

·
0 Posts
by no, you mean yes, right?? ;)

That could work. We could find a crashed M900 with just cosmetic damage and then take all the parts that 108 takes off his S4R and BOOM instant track mule.

The only real problems would be mant. costs and tires, the other stuff would be easy. My father in law lives 10 minutes away from Willow Springs and I'm sure he would let us put it in his backyard/garage. Nick, you got California Speedway covered......it could just work.

So...who wants to donate the 4 to 5k to get started ;D ;D

·
Registered
8,800 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
whew...19 views to get one reply. This is hard work baiting people.

ducseven just sold his extra clean '95 M900 with 14k miles, got $4300 for it.

Maybe a ratty M900 for $2500 - $3000? Salvage title is OK, for a track only bike.

10 of us at $300 each?

Still pretty hairball.........

·
Premium Member
620 Posts
I like the idea, but I would hate to be the one to crash the club bike. The flames would never end and I might have to move.

I'm interested though.

At approximately $300 it should be an easy sell to my wife. "Honey, sweetie, it's a club bike. You don't want to me crash my Monster, do you?"

AC

·
Registered
8,800 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
As long as we start with the philosophy that the club track bike WILL get binned, the whole idea may work.

If somebody loses it in 8 or 9 at Willow Springs, the bike will most likely be history, or very close to it.

·
Premium Member
236 Posts
Interesting idea. I had two buddies back in my P-car days and we talked about buying a track car together. I don't remember all of the details, but in the end it didn't work out because it was going to be too hard to manage who had access, who paid maintenance, etc. Not to mention the issue if it was wrecked.

It seems to me that the two main differences are a) we're talking about a lot less money and b) it'd be owned by 10 people vs. 3.

The first difference is a good one. The second is problematic. There's an ownership issue in the sense that we'd be putting money in the hat, yet who would own it? A track-only bike is good because we don't need to tag it and it wouldn't be street legal, so we'd be under the DMV radar. But, from a liability perspective, I'm not sure I want the headache. Not that you were specifically inviting me to participate, of course :) I'd probably just as soon spend $3k myself then get embroiled in working out the details over how it would work, let alone if something went wrong. Also, based on the track days I've attended, there'd be a limit as to how much use could be had if more than 3 people showed up. And, with that kind of use, I think we'd beat the heck out of the thing in a matter of sessions!

Just my thoughts,

Mark

·
Registered
8,800 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
S

·
0 Posts
LOL, little dent in gas tank....That tank looked like he sideswiped a lightpost or something of that order.

BTW how much does it cost to ship a bike from South Carolina??

1 - 10 of 10 Posts