Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,416 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a brand new 2002 S4 earlier this season and subsequently read about the leaking battery nightmare. What's the best route to preventing this catastrophe? I've seen "battery mats" mentioned on here. Is this the best form of prevention and, if so, where would I get one?

Thanks.

·
Registered
8,800 Posts
Re: How can I prevent battery acid damage to my S4

FWIW, this is my recommendation:

I'm assuming your bike came with the GS battery. Replace it with a Yuasa YT12B-BS.

Some listers have purchased battery mats from a car parts shop, like Pep Boys or AutoZone, etc.

Some have partially wrapped the battery in heavy plastic sheeting.

A few have done both....

Gotta do a little "disclaimer" here. I don't know for a fact that the Yuasa battery won't leak. A huge percentage of the GS batteries leak. The Yuasa USA engineering and tech support people are comfortable with the application on the S4. It seems like the best option, quite a few of us are "experimenting" with it. I wish I could promise you that the Yuasa won't leak. :-/

·
Registered
170 Posts
Re: How can I prevent battery acid damage to my S4

I think pep boys has them. If not, try here:
http://www.batterymart.com/battery.mv?p=ACC-BATMAT

I have one under my battery and I pull the battery every two weeks to check for any acid. None yet ::) . My battery is two years old. The mat has an agent that nuetralizes battery acid so I should be able to catch it, if it every leaks.

Others are replacing the stock battery with a yausa.

That might prevent it, then again it might not. I would still use a battery mat and check it regularly.

I also relocated my voltage regulator which is located under the seat and gets "very hot". These sealed lead acid batteries do not like to be charged with to high a voltage. If they do , they could vent gas or worse. Some people have had problems with the stock voltage regulator getting to hot and failing. I don't know of any report that this has happend and caused the battery to vent or pop, but I've taken the precaution anyway.

Borg Girl

1 - 4 of 4 Posts