Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Prices are pretty standard across the board. You might be able to negotiate a bit here and there. But, don't expect anything huge. Buying in Feb would prolly get a better deal than buying in May or the such (depending on the part of the country).

You can usually negotiate with the accessories and service though. Some places have been known to thrown in the 600 mile service for free. Most shops cut really good discounts if you buy your gear when you buy your bike.

Some people have gotten them to drop the freight and/or assembly charge. Depending on your situation, you might not want to haggle and nit pick every dollar. I've heard they remember you when it comes back for service time or you need parts/accessories.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
How about if I buy from out of state? Is the warante covered at alll the service centers? And Can I register for NY if I buy in let's say LA calif?

·
Registered
124 Posts
The warranty is from the factory and should be honored by any factory authorized service center (that's just about all but the shade-tree mechanic).

Buying from out of state will include shipping charges (and prolly higher than buying locally). Buying from out of state that has a year round riding season prolly won't save any money.

You can register a new bike in any state. Only issues used to be CA specific vehicles that compley with "CA emmisions" law. But, I think most manufacturers now make their vehicles to meet CA across the board, no matter where they're sold.

I highly suggest looking at the FAQ for lots of good information.

·
Registered
890 Posts
hlockser said:
Can anyone give me tips for getting the best deal. I am looking to buy in february.
All 100 dollar bills, No check, no financing. Don't forget to work the MOJO

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I am probably going to buy the s2r1000 at pro italia in los angeles. But i want to register the bike in NY. Will the dealer be able to get me NY plates? I am intending on riding from LA to NYC somewhere around May. Stopping at hotels rolling the bike in the room with me.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Oh. WHAT AM I LOOKing at for a 2007 s2r1000 monster, title tax and tags, and whatever else.javascript:void(0);

·
Premium Member
77 Posts
I got mine by purchasing a S2R1000 demo with 900 miles on it. I got it for $7875 and they did the 600 mile service on it. At first I didn't want a bike that someone else rode but since the 2 year warranty started when I walked out the door with it, I figured how could I miss? There was no physical damage at all to the bike. I'm a beginner and my first bike purchase so I was pleased. Someday I'll sell it and move up to a S4R. The cheapest I saw was $9500 for a brand new one. BTW I did this in NJ.

·
Registered
241 Posts
slowpoke13 said:
Most shops cut really good discounts if you buy your gear when you buy your bike.
I try and feel the dealership out a little before plunking down any cash, always working to establish a relationship with the salesman who's probably going to be there next time I stop by (i.e. not the 19 y/o kid working his way through college). I've gotten my best deals on bike #2 from a dealer I visited on a regular basis.

That said, if they're not nice before the sale, don't expect nice afterwards...

My opinion about excessing comparison shopping for price is this: Don't go crying to your local dealer about service / setup / warranty work if you bought your bike somewhere else to save a few bucks; it's insulting to them and shows just where your priorities rest (this is the same in my mind as the folks who go to the dealer to try out the products, then buy them online to save money).

Ken

·
Registered
4,928 Posts
KenSwift said:
My opinion about excessing comparison shopping for price is this: Don't go crying to your local dealer about service / setup / warranty work if you bought your bike somewhere else to save a few bucks; it's insulting to them and shows just where your priorities rest (this is the same in my mind as the folks who go to the dealer to try out the products, then buy them online to save money).
Good advice.

Also, it's highly unlikely Pro Italia will be getting you NY tags for your bike. You'll probably just get the 30 day drive away tag and will have to pay taxes, title when you register it in NY.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
How do I get the bike registered then? I will be in LA until MAy at least, then plan on riding back to NY.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I'd go with getting CA registration.. then you can re-register in NY when you move... or... you can just wait till you get to NY to buy a bike .. .but it doesn't sound like that's much of an option for you. Best of luck, either way!!

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hey I spoke to Pro Italia and they said they could ship to another state without having to charge title tax or tags. So i will have to only pay the price plus shipping. which will be much less.

·
Registered
4,928 Posts
hlockser said:
Hey I spoke to Pro Italia and they said they could ship to another state without having to charge title tax or tags. So i will have to only pay the price plus shipping. which will be much less.
Except you won't have a bike to ride (in So. CA no less) until you get back to NY. You're still going to have to pay taxes, etc when you register it in NY. This isn't like most retail sales where somthing gets shipped out of state and you can save on paying sales tax.

If you're not going to be able to ride it until you get back to NY anyway, why buy from Pro Italia? Nice store, but I doubt they are givin' the bikes away and are going to be any cheaper than buying in NY once you add in the shipping costs.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yes
But what if I say I got it as a gift. Then there is no tax. which is much more than shipping. Maybe I can go to Albuqurque NM, I know someone there, to avoid tax. then head back to LA.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Ski mask and loaded 45 always works for me. Just kidding cash works wonders more often then not most I got cut from my first bike was about 1500 bucs. Second bike I paid full price since dealer had none in stock and had to do dealer to dealer swap from what I was told. The list price and colors he had in stock were blk/white and red/white (list 10,500), which I would have gotten in hindsight and would have ran me around 9500 brand new out the door. I ended up paying 10500 for me silver and black

-ghost

;D ;D ;D

·
Premium Member
370 Posts
hlockser said:
Yes
But what if I say I got it as a gift. Then there is no tax. which is much more than shipping. Maybe I can go to Albuqurque NM, I know someone there, to avoid tax. then head back to LA.
if it were only that easy to scam everyone would do it. Good luck getting a dlr to LIE on the paperwork.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
You paid 10500 title tax and tags for the s2r1000. Where? I got a price 11,800! silver with black is what I am geting? Ha Ha ski mask and loaded 45!

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
About getting the dealer to lie. I spoke with the dealer and he said what I do is my business. So if you go to the DMV and tell them it was a gift you dont pay tax.

·
Registered
4,928 Posts
hlockser said:
About getting the dealer to lie. I spoke with the dealer and he said what I do is my business. So if you go to the DMV and tell them it was a gift you dont pay tax.
Let us know how THAT works out for you. [laugh]

1 - 20 of 26 Posts