Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what are some basic power adders for the 750? anyone? how much power can u get out of a 750? just want more power.....can u make more power witha 750?

·
Registered
65 Posts
The problem I have with most power adders to bikes is generally they are very costly, and for what it'd cost to make a little more power, you could have just gotten the more powerful version of your bike.

For example - from that era, an m750 and m900 don't cost too much different used. Probably about the same after full pipes or something that will give you just a couple of ponies, whereas the 900 gives you quite a few more.

I know this doesn't really help you at all, but just my general observation when buying a motorcycle.

·
Premium Member
6,957 Posts
what is your budget?

i remember seeing a 750 motor build that made 75hp
think the cost was $3000-ish

here's some of the things we did to our 750
pipes/jet kit/open airbox
upgraded coils/wires/plugs
light flywheel
next want-
39mm flatslide carbs
high compression pistons

best thing we did to make the 750 feel faster was light wheels

jeff h
monsterparts.com

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i have the keihein 39mm fcr carbs and an open airbox with a k&n. just bought a 43 tooth rear sprocket too. so pretty much to get more power i gotta crack the engine open and pretty much rebuild with better stuff? where can i find lightened flywheels and upgraded coils and wires and a decent not so pricey exhuast? i appreciate all the help. i got the monster last july and dids its 12k in sept/oct. she runs great just want more.

·
Registered
65 Posts
$3k for upgrade, see that really proves my point. For 3k plus what your 750 is worth you could probably have a s2r and you'll be ahead in power, and it's newer + FI, 6spd, a whole lot of nice stuff.

Just doesn't really seem to make sense from a $/hp or value standpoint.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I just had a guy from ducati.ms mod my exhaust header in to a 2 into 1. It will be here in a few days, that plus jetting slip ons and an open air box and we'll see what kind of power we end up with. It dyno'd at 59.59hp with 45.37 ft/lbs of torque totally stock beforehand.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Rejetting, FCR's and slip on cans are the cheapest way you can increase power, after that you might as well go for the 900 engine!

I did the conversion to my 600 Monster Dark (1999) and fitted a 900 SS (1994-Big valve) engine, the best mod i have ever done!

Yorkie

·
Registered
34 Posts
There's no replacement for displacement.

That said, I'm in sort of a similar position: my 2002 750S is sort-of a family heirloom. It's not going anywhere. Plus, just my opinion, but I'm sort of partial to the air/oil cooled, 2-valve ducati engines. Somthing about the utilitarian simplicity... so the best I wold want would be an S2RS or somthing like that. What's worse, except for the flywheel (which I might try) I've done everything else.

Just sort of rambling now but one thing that's made me fall in love with this bike is that even in the 60-70bhp range, it sure feels like more. I think because it feels like such a smaller bike overall.

I dont know. Maybe I could go on a diet.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Turbo or Supercharger would be better!
If I'm not mistaken, turbochargers and superchargers are considered "forced air induction" systems. Basiclly forcing (usually cooled) air into the intake. The difference between the two is how they build pressure: turbo spooling off exhaust gasses while the supercharger is belt driven.

NOS (or even water jets over a turbo or SC intercooler) further cool the air entering the intake system, making it more dense and somehow burns differently to produce more power (though that part get's beyond my recollectfion of the top of my head).

As far as bikes go... Except for a couple mid 80's Yamahas and Hondas, I've never seen a turbo or SC offered for a bike that weren't basiclly "one-off" systems. The couple custom turbos I've experienced first hand (Trimph Rocket III, BMW K bike, V-Max+) were less that reliable and though they pumped up the power I never felt the risk was worth the reward. Add NOS to that mix, and I just don't see many engines and ECU's coping with the variables introduced.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Point taken on the tech side, my 'Short term solution' did however refer to the NOS.

And as with all mod's, it is up to the individual if it suits, raw power is what some people look for!!

Given the money, i would opt for one of these, a turbo would flick my switch!

Yorkie

·
Registered
65 Posts
If I'm not mistaken, turbochargers and superchargers are considered "forced air induction" systems. Basiclly forcing (usually cooled) air into the intake. The difference between the two is how they build pressure: turbo spooling off exhaust gasses while the supercharger is belt driven.

NOS (or even water jets over a turbo or SC intercooler) further cool the air entering the intake system, making it more dense and somehow burns differently to produce more power (though that part get's beyond my recollectfion of the top of my head).

As far as bikes go... Except for a couple mid 80's Yamahas and Hondas, I've never seen a turbo or SC offered for a bike that weren't basiclly "one-off" systems. The couple custom turbos I've experienced first hand (Trimph Rocket III, BMW K bike, V-Max+) were less that reliable and though they pumped up the power I never felt the risk was worth the reward. Add NOS to that mix, and I just don't see many engines and ECU's coping with the variables introduced.
Yes Nitrous Oxide both cools the air charge (making it more dense and oxygen rich) and at the same time offers oxygen of it's own to burn (N2O). This is why idiots put holes in their pistons with it. They just slap on a big shot and push the button, which creates a super crazy lean condition. The solution is bigger injectors and/or another injector entirely(wet system) plus an entire re-mapping of the ECU.

Yeah as far as bikes go, I see turbos making the power curve way too unpredictable. The lag would be awful, especially through a corner. Superchargers would tend to be too bulky and heavy. With the new variable geometry turbos, I could see the lag all but disappearing though. However both of these could be fixed, except there's not really a problem in the first place.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts