Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,677 Posts
Look at the white porcelin around the center conductor. If you see fine spray of silver spots, then you're too lean. That's aluminum swept off the combustion chamber from detonations. This can happen without making a sound. (I've seen it) IF you don't have this, then you're not really too lean, you're just being frugal.

:) Chris

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
you're awesome. thanks. No silver..... the top electrode is brown, but one is a little white...that is all.....you have eased my mind a bit ......... oh man, I was htinking it was time for a major engine rebuild LOL I was thinking, there goes my new rear shock, brakes, forks.....

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
so hte black crud at the base is ok ? Is tthat just blow by ?

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks !!

Ducati.com has an article about how to read plugs. They say that the carbon build up is due to leaky valves, etc....

You think there is any truth to this ?

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
so what exactly happens when you are running lean ? I mean in terms of detrimental effects ?

·
Premium Member
5,076 Posts
2 problems with trying to answer your question - with unleaded gas, you don't get the same kind of coloration as with leaded gas, & the plugs tend to look "leaner". The other problem is that you cannot really tell how a plug is burning (other than obvious stuff like Chris pointed out)without looking deep into the plug at where the insulator meets a metal ring. You need a lighted magnifier to do this properly.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I got a question, if I am running lean, should I downgrade in my gas selection ??? from 91 to say 87

·
Registered
45,105 Posts
octane has nothing to do with rich or lean. it avoids ping (detonation). just use the lowest grade that avoids ping. 87 will probably work.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
thansk guys, I'm learning..I appreciate everyone contributing thus far !!!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts