Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I use strobes on my ultralight to be seen in the air. You can see them from 3 miles away in the daytime.
They use tham on school buses and mail carriers. Would it be legal to use one on a motorcycle? Kinda dorkey but no one would miss seeing you.

Been thinking about this since last month, when I was on a 2 lane asphalt road and some cageherder ahead traveling opposite way wasn't looking for a bike, didn't see me and pulled out to pass. No place to go so i started for the shoulder .
When he went for the shoulder I immediatly steered back and he passed me with a spray of gravel on my right side. Now I flash my hi-beams a lot with oncoming traffic looks backed up by slowpokes.
I know there are hi-lo beam flasher kits but I think the strobe would be way more visible than those.
The strobes on my plane are 6 joules of illumination, 12 volt powered and cost $59
Amyone is welcome to opine or comment
Wayne Z

·
Premium Member
2,051 Posts
You'll have to check your laws and regulations for your region on that. It's a great idea (thought of it myself), but I'm not too sure how it works for civilian vehicles.

·
Premium Member
1,451 Posts
I've seen it on a Goldwing. The strobe activated when the brakes were applied. The strobe itself was located inside the brake lens. The guy was in front of me and it drew my attention right to him.

·
Banned
1,620 Posts
I brought this up in a thread about headlight modulators. I think it is a great idea. If the strobes aren't colored and headlight modulators are legal then strobes should be ok. We also need something to set us apart from all the cars with daytime running lamps now. The law required motorcycles to have their headlight on during the day so they would stand out. Now we blend in.

·
Premium Member
1,834 Posts
+1 on checking w/local law... it's most likely illegal...

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well I think i will check my local laws. Don't think I would need them at night, cagers see the headlight easily and don't know if it's a bike or a car with one headlight workng.
Some small bar-end strobes would be sweet, or mount one in place of that little light in the headlamp reflector.( What's that little light for anyhow?) Or realy be dorkey and put one atop my helmet LOL
WZ

1 - 6 of 6 Posts