Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
O

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We've talked about Wheelies (still confused how to pull one off) Another is lighting up the rear wheel... How does one do this stunt? High revs and ease off the clutch? Or high revs let go of the clutch?
Not really something I want to do, but sometimes people ask can your bike do it or can YOU do it... Just wondering.

·
Premium Member
6,957 Posts
you drop the clutch, not ease it out.
might want to hold the front brake too. [smiley=cheeky.gif]
(and have your feet on the ground)
try it the day you are taking your bike in for a new tire

Burnouts are easiest in Vegas. home of the slippery-est streets in america. seriously.

more lessons:
wheelies- http://www.garyrothwell.com/Gary_s_Lessons/wheelies/body_wheelies.html
stoppies0 http://www.garyrothwell.com/Gary_s_Lessons/stoppies/body_stoppies.html
(i used to do stoppies all the time, then i did a really good one, scared the hell oughta myself and never did it again :p)

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Funny thing about burnouts and wheelies. They are done pretty much the same way. A bike will go one way or the other depending on traction. A Monster being a shorter wheel based bike will probably wheelie before it burns out. But on colder mornings under moderate gas, my tire spins pretty easy. Especially Saturday at Pocono. The stock tire did not give me the feeling of confidense.

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Good for getting rid of mold release on new rubber.... ;D

·
Registered
571 Posts
Tire Frying for beginners.........

1. Hold bike in 1st @ 3000-3500 rpm.

2. Put 2 fingers on front brake lever (or front wheel against a wall/kerb)

3. Dump clutch!

4. Can you smell the burning? :eek:

Concrete tends to make whiter smoke & a lot faster than regular asphalt...Or so i have been told.... ;) Obviousy, being the polite, civilised Monster owner I am, I would NEVER condone this behaviour ;D :eek: ;D

H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Tires cost too much to waste em like that. I guess if the tire is spent, it's ok. Not like I've ever done it... ::) ;)

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
tires are way to expensive to lay down on the road.

·
Registered
3,043 Posts
i've only done burnouts in those funky 1/2 paved 1/2 gravel parking lots... and on my junker 79 honda. Kinda fun to break lose, and spin the bike around like a donut. I'm wierd.

·
Premium Member
1,488 Posts
On my 800 at least I don't even need to dump the clutch. As long as the tires aren't too sticky all I have to do is hold the front brake and ease on the throttle. After a few seconds spinning and smoke commence... :)

·
Premium Member
462 Posts
on my 900, hold the front brake, ease out on the clutch while turning up the wick..

BTW, if on asphalt, you can also melt it..

But I only do this on a tire that I'm gonna replace.

Last, you don't need bleach, (or water). But water works better and doesn't give off toxic fumes like bleach.

·
Premium Member
4,093 Posts
The 620 won't wheelie on it's own , but it can do a burnout!!! I did one in my driveway... but since tires cost so much it wasn't a long one. A friend of ours does them on his HD all the time, he keeps telling me to do it with him.

I won't do it on my HD , too much weight, afraid I couldn't hold her.Cause they start going sideways.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts