Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,

I'm looking for help/advice on installing a set of Oxford Hot Grips on my 2003 M620 Dark. Just to give an overview on things, I'm new to Ducati and am completely useless at DIY things so please bear with my limited knowledge. I've read the manuals that came with the kit and just want your advice before I dive into this.

1. Removing old grips - Do I have to cut these off or will I get them off with washing up liquid and a bit of perserverence?

2. Throttle Grip - Under the grip there is a clear plastic tubing on the bars. Do I need to remove this also? The Oxford Hot Grips kit has a black tubing that fits inside the throttle hot grip is this the same thing?

3. End bars - The instructions say to remove the end bars to get the grips on, however the end bars on my monster are black rounded and no wider in diameter than the handlebar, so it doesn't look as if I need to remove anything here. Is this right?

4. Controller - The kit comes with a bracket that mounts to the mirror mount but it looks as if this won't suit a monster as they clash. Either way I would prefer to mount the controller on the centre of the bars directly under the dials. The controller has a rounded underside for sitting on the bars with sticky tape to leave a sticky surface!! Do I have to stick this to the bar???? Will this hold? I'm lost here because I don't see anything in the kit that will allow me to bolt onto the bike.

5. Connecting to the battery - The kit has fused wiring for connection to the battery. I've never gone near the battery on my bike. Is there anything I should watch out for here? Whats the best way to access the battery? Are there do's and don'ts working here?

Hope someone can help here.

Thanks
Georgey

·
Premium Member
1,386 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
1, stick a small flat bladed screw driver or an awl between the grip and hte bar and spray some soapy water in there and start twisting, the whole thing will break loose

3, shouldn't need to pull off the stock bar ends
5, i'm not familiar with hte wiring harness for hte hot grips, but i wouldn't go straight to the battery, you should run a relay that is switched off the lighting circuit on the positive power line for hte grips

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
..............................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................
..............................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................
.......................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

·
Premium Member
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
greenmonster said:
cheers greenmonsters. see the tubing picture in that thread, I have a similar black tubing in my hot grips kit, do you know if I need to use that by glueing it to the throttle bar and then glueing the heated grip to the tubing?

Edit: I've just found something on the net where thistube that comes with the hot grips is a converter tube to convert the internal diameter from 25.6mm to 22mm. Apartently used for ATV's. My Monster has a throttle sleeve and I leave this on the bike. I may need to smooth off the throttle sleeve and any raised areas to give a consistent 25.6mm for the hot grip.

·
Premium Member
1,386 Posts
I've just found something on the net where thistube that comes with the hot grips is a converter tube to convert the internal diameter from 25.6mm to 22mm.
Guess that tube does the same job as my tube on clutch side of handlebar.

·
Premium Member
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
router.exe said:
1, stick a small flat bladed screw driver or an awl between the grip and hte bar and spray some soapy water in there and start twisting, the whole thing will break loose

3, shouldn't need to pull off the stock bar ends
5, i'm not familiar with hte wiring harness for hte hot grips, but i wouldn't go straight to the battery, you should run a relay that is switched off the lighting circuit on the positive power line for hte grips
thanks for the advice router, I definitely want to take the grips off in one piece if I can just in case I need to do an emergency refitting if I make a mess of the hot grips!!

electrics is definitely new territory for me. The hot grips has simply multi pin connection blocks to link the bar grips to the controller and then a connection block to linkt the controller to the battery (or other!!). The manual has a simplified diagram sayin to to connect the red wire to positive on the battery (or to the ignition feed so that they cannoth be left on inadvertantly), and connect the black wire to the negative battery terminal (or to another negative connection in the bikes wiring).

how do I get to the battery on the monster? is it under the tank?

·
Premium Member
1,386 Posts
how do I get to the battery on the monster? is it under the tank?
Yep.

You can get - from f e the forks. I took mine from where my indicators connects to them.
For + I y-splitted the yellow wiring to the parking ligjt inside the headlamp.
No risk of leaving grips on.

·
Premium Member
283 Posts
BryanS said:
an air compressor will blow the grips right off very easily... I've done it several times with much success
If you don't have an air conditioner handy, you can use one of the "dust off" cans of compressed air for computers. They are available at almost any electronics store and they have a small tube that you can put under the grip to direct the flow of air.

·
Premium Member
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
greenmonster said:
Yep.

You can get - from f e the forks. I took mine from where my indicators connects to them.
For + I y-splitted the yellow wiring to the parking ligjt inside the headlamp.
No risk of leaving grips on.
ah ha. thanks. I'll have a lok at that when it gets bright out!!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts