Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had occassion to finally for the first time use the horn on my new S4 in the driveway the other day, and I nearly died of embarrassment!

It sounded so pathetically feeble and high pitched, I actually looked around to make sure none of the neighbors had heard the plaintive yelp.

Here I've been cultivating the image of a Ducati being a barely restrained wild stallion (especially with that Termignoni exhaust), and now I get this anticlimatic and ineffective "toot" when I hit the horn button?? And, this time I was just using it to alert wife Karen to open the garage door for me, but what if I really needed to get someone's attention - like a panel truck about to change into my lane?? God, I'm glad Karen didn't hear it when I pressed that button. She'd have laughed herself silly.

Then there's also the male social stigma of a puny horn. I live in a state (Texas) where real men drive big pickups with big motors and gun racks. Can you IMAGINE the hoots of derision I'd get if I let off a horn blast in downtown Austin with that ridiculous excuse for a REAL horn?? It's certainly no way to impress the local guys OR ladies.

Does anyone know where I can get a REAL horn, and maybe one that LOOKS more impressive too?

Jim G

·
Premium Member
2,952 Posts
I had to replace a horn on an older car a couple of years ago. I picked up a generic model at the local auto parts store that looked pretty decent and was really loud, just as claimed on the packaging. Cheap, too.

Or you could look into J C Whitney for one of the trumpet-looking jobs that plays Dixie or 11 other preset tunes ;D

(I've actually thought about that on a bike before :-X )

·
Registered
8,800 Posts
I got a pair of Fiamm car horns ages ago for my last bike that had weak horns. They were loud, and sounded 'expensive', IE 'Wake up, dork! Youre about to make a really big claim on your insurance!'

Jim, are you sure both horns were working? It will sound feeble if only one honks. I seem to recall having to exercise the connector to get both working. My S4 horns seem OK from what I recall, but I'll turn a critical ear on them next chance I get.

·
Premium Member
752 Posts

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks, guys! The Fiamm mini-blasters appear to be a good solution to this problem!

I plan on getting them or something close to them.

Jim G

M

·
0 Posts
yeah kind of a Mike Tyson sorta thing....fearsome to see but when it opens its mouth you want to giggle in its face

·
Premium Member
1,488 Posts
I disagree scootyman. I've been on the freeway more than once and held the horn down and other drivers are totally oblivious to it. In fact just a week or two ago somone merged into where I was in my lane and didn't hear the horn even after holding it for almost 5 seconds. That did NOT make my day...

S

·
0 Posts
Bloodshot: That hasn't been my experience. Every time I've used it, cars have responded. Maybe I got an especially whiny horn. :)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts