Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hmm I didn't want to start a new thread, being a newbie here and all thought i'd repost my question from the end of this thread here at the front, hoping it would be more visible...

THANK YOU
for all of your responses and support!!!

·
Registered
849 Posts
Re: hopelessly hooked

Couldn't you get an S4 for that kind of money? I recommend it ;D

Welcome to the world of motorbiking. It's an addiction.

-R.

·
Premium Member
694 Posts

If memory serves, which it probably doesn't but that's a whole 'nother story, I got my 03 800S out the door (taxes, fees, etc.) for $8,500 last July.

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

ok please help me to understand the ad from the link to the bike you referenced...

2001 DUCATI Monster 900S, Yellow Monster in excellent condition. Tank, screen and cowl perfect, no flaws or scratches. Tastefully done with CF Termi's,
(termi is the brand of exhaust pipes right? and CF is carbon fiber?)
bar-end mirrors, CF fender, hugger and side panels, billet license plate holder.
(what does billet mean?)
Metzeler MZ4r's w/ 400 miles (still with chicken strips).
(translation please =P (= )
New chain (due to gearing change). Motor completely stock & runs perfect. There is a small scratch on the 'Termi' decal on left exhaust. The exhaust can is unharmed. This bike is for someone looking for an almost perfect bike that hasnt been down or had too many mods to be rideable. 2nd mature owner.

Next question is, "How do I get someone (like a mechanic) to check a bike like this that is being purchased without me getting a chance to physically see it?"

This year/model is fuel-injected also right?

·
Registered
599 Posts

Best of luck to your search and financial situation. I'd say checking out well reputed bike shops for a used monster is the way to go if you can't get a new one. Let me know when you get it, I live in Monterey and we can go riding some time. Either way, welcome to the Monsters.

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

I know that you said that you were going to schedule your MSF course, but you also might want to check out a book in the meantime. It is called "Proficient Motorcycling-Mastering the Ride" by David Hough. Very informative and has a lot of real world riding scenarios and practice maneuvers to try while you are waiting to class up. There is also a sequel to it called "More Proficient Motorcycling" but I haven't had the chance to read it yet. Just some more food for thought.

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

hi,
money is an issue for me as well, so I bought a 2nd hand bike.
An official dealer close to home offered to check the bike for free, they do it as a policy, given that if you buy a monster you are likely to turn into a good customer in a couple of years.
I refused 'cause I felt embarassed and didn't want to bother.
It was a big mistake!
I am happy with my bike 'cause there is no oil leakage, engine and forks and frame are really ok, but I had to change a lot of little hidden things (clutch and under-dimensioned chain first of all).
So if you can find a dealer with same service, try it. Make sure the dealer is really experienced!
No one of the friends who checked the bike for me had the slightest idea, but the dealer found out in 30 seconds (really!)
:eek:

regarding maintenance: a new bike will oblige you to at least 3 official controls (check out the price, the highest cc the highest the price). I have looked around for non-official reliable
assistance and I found two guys who are race-pilots in Italian "battle of twins" and work as mechanics to pay their races expenses. prices are cheap and they are really bike-sensitive.
Look around, talk with people, collect info!

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

Uhh, I forgot... note that I haven't even mentioned the SV 650.
I had the same choice, people told me same things.
I have never, never, regret having bought the monster and don't want even think about the idea that at the present time a yellow suzuky might be parked down my windows (no offense intended to anyone).
I used to drive a hornet before and I dont miss her.
As you said carisma is important... if you are in love with the monster is unuseful you buy something else, you would just be not happy enough. (makes sense?)

·
Premium Member
1,488 Posts

Personally I don't understand the appeal of the SV650s. Before they were redesigned a year or so ago they were allright. At least the sort of resembled the Monster with their poser trellis frame. But the new ones have a squared off trellis fram design, square edged tank, etc, just ugly. And don't even get me started on what they look like with the ugly mini-faring in the front...

·
Premium Member
1,305 Posts

welcome rainfire. beware of buying a used out of state bike . in california , to register an out of state bike it has to have 7000 or 7500 miles on it. can't remember which. some people have done it but it invoves a bit of finese[payoffs] i drool over some of the prices for bikes in other parts of the country. i'm still looking for a used 900 monster myself ,good luck.

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

THANK YOU
for all of your responses and support!!!

If you see this post and have a sec please vote on the listing below that I am currently following up on... (keep in mind that for various reasons a used fuel-injected 800/900 monster is my preference)

a) an amazing deal
b) a great deal
c) a deal
d) eh... (neutral- would haggle*)
e) wait for better

DUCATI Monster 2003 800 Dark Model, 1500mi, jacket, gloves & helmet, $6,900. new rider, 1,500 miles, Never dropped, perfect condition, Serviced @ 300 miles, aftermarket seat cowl and a small windshield. 1st major service was included with original purchase and MAY be transferable (owner checking).

a new friend is willing to check it out for me, if it is up to his standards, then I imagine I'd ask the owner to take it to the mechanic (whom I would pay to check it out).

It's actually too new to have a Kelley Blue Book Value, but I could get the same bike (minus windshield and seat cowl) for $8400 new from my local dealer... so I'd be saving about $1400 depending on what I told DMV i paid for it when I go to do the title transfer...

*ah, also note if you would "haggle" (i.e. negotiate politely on price) regardless or not (I'm terrible at this kind of thing)

p.s. if the jacket/gloves are nice great, but I wouldn't use a used helmet... would definately buy a new one)

pps. oh, and BTW I did thoroughly read the FAQs section before making this post, and I hope to be able to help with the advising of newcomers in the future when I no longer am one lol.

ppps. you like the multiple choice? can you tell i'm a teacher? haha...

Thanks again for all of your replies to my post and your warm welcomes (=

1 - 15 of 15 Posts