Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8,800 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just trying to organize our part of this wonderful BB a little bit.

If you post a proposed ride or event, I'll shuffle it into the 'Upcoming Events" section as soon as I get the chance.
If there's a ride that gets started buried in a thread, I can't snip it out, so drag it out in the sunlight and start a new topic.

Should you have a club topic that needs to hang around in view even if there's no new posts, I'll put it in the 'Club Stuff' section.

If you have ideas of categories or things that you would like to see, PM me or post it here or start a new topic or.......

I'd rather not go overboard on the number of sections, as to insert a new topic into a section I've got to make all of the threads sticky and unsticky in the proper order. It's a bit clunky.

Any comments?

S

·
0 Posts
Hey Speeddog, I think this is a great idea. I don't post very often, but I check the BB frequently and this will make things easier. Thanks for the work.

Steve C.

·
Registered
849 Posts
Don't we have an entire forum dedicated to "Everything Else"? :D I liked how I used to be able to pick out individual rides I wanted to read about by the date in the subject line (as in Recap 1/1/04 Idyllwild ride). Don't you think throwing all rides together into one big sticky could become a bit confusing? What if the LA people and the San Diego folks plan simultaneous rides up ACH and Palomar, would they be in the same sticky?

Maybe the new "look" just needs to grow on me, like the 999 8)

-R.

·
Registered
8,800 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The extent of my 'plan' is to have a very limited number of threads in the 'Club Stuff' and 'Upcoming Events' sections.

Club Stuff' section:
The map will stay at the top.

The T-shirt thread will stay as it is until the shirts are in hand, and all pre-paid orders are filled. Then the thread will be made 'unsticky', and it will assume it's place in the existing date structure in the 'Everything Else' section. I plan to replace it with something like a 'Club T-Shirt - Buy yours now!' thread controlled by Scott S., with pricing and inventory so folks can buy 'em and Scott can recoup the substantial $ he put in up front to get the shirts made. When the shirts are sold out, that thread will be made 'unsticky' as well.

"Upcoming Events' section:

Only rides or events that have not occurred yet will be in this section. Once the ride or event is done, it will be made 'unsticky', and it will assume it's place in the existing date structure in the 'Everything Else' section.

Rides will have seperate threads only if seperate threads get started. If the SD folks start a thread on a ride on a specific date, and the LA folks do the same, it's up to whoever started the threads to title them differently.

-------------------------------------------------------------
A bit of explanation of the 'sticky' feature is in order. I didn't understand the functionality of it until I used it....

If I make a thread 'sticky', it goes to the very top. Unless I want it there at the very top, I have to make the other threads and section titles 'unsticky' and then 'sticky' again to shuffle them ahead. Gotta do it in the proper backwards order. A bit laborious if I want to insert an upcoming ride....so there won't be many threads in the 'Club Stuff' and 'Upcoming Events' sections.

·
Registered
849 Posts
If the SD folks start a thread on a ride on a specific date, and the LA folks do the same, it's up to whoever started the threads to title them differently
Gotcha. I thought you wanted us to put upcoming rides into the same upcoming events sticky. That would've been confusing.

-R.

·
Registered
600 Posts
I like the idea of being able to access all the past group ride threads through one gateway. Something like a "Past Group Rides" thread with direct links (listed in chronological order) to all the group ride threads of the past.

Like this.

01-01-04 Recap: Idyllwild Loop
01-01-04 Invite

12-27-03 Recap: BigT-AFH-Bouquet-LittleT
12-27-03 Invite

12-26-03 Recap: GMR-GRR
12-26-03 Invite

12-06-03 Recap: ACH-GMR-GRR
12-06-03 Invite

Might be nice to have the "Invite" threads show up as well.

We could also list the members that showed up like this. Is this going too far?

01-01-04 Recap: Idyllwild Loop
01-01-04 Invite
5 Members: ducman851, ppoitras, Speeddog830, supafly, terrible_viking

12-27-03 Recap: BigT-AFH-Bouquet-LittleT
12-27-03 Invite
7 Members: 108gnfytr, CrestGal, jiro, kevdusmc, Scott S., Speeddog830, terrible_viking, (Ducseven)

·
Registered
8,800 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Nice idea, Jiro. Done!

·
Premium Member
1,679 Posts
I don't think I like it. I'm just not a big fan of all the stickies. I like to see latest first without having to study all the time and dates to see what's new. I think the map is cool sticky, and maybe past group rides, but that would be it for me. "UPCOMING EVENTS", for example, always seem to be titled by their sponsor to attract the attention of those who might care like "HB bike night tonight?" Few outside of OC could care. Like Ryan says, this whole thing is "EVERYTHING ELSE". Or, maybe I'm just confused; are you talking about three folders with all the posts organized into only those?

It seems like you're getting too organized. Right now, there are nine sticky threads. Ok, so I see that there is a new post within the SCMHA. Right now, I have to study the time and date of ALL nine of those PLUS the first thread after those JUST to FIND the new post, THEN click THAT folder open to see if it's of any interest to me. Awkward, to say the least.

S

·
0 Posts
Right now, I have to study the time and date of ALL nine of those PLUS the first thread after those JUST to FIND the new post, THEN click THAT folder open to see if it's of any interest to me. Awkward, to say the least.
Whaaa? I've only meet you once so maybe your sense of irony is lost on me. We have a max of 4 or 5 post going at once. It's not like the "No-Monster Content" board where todays responses are on two pages. It's not hard at all to find what you want. I like the new look. I think it's the next logical step for the page.

BTW, very nice idea Jiro.

·
Registered
8,800 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Tom,

If a thread has received a post since the last time you viewed that thread, it will have the little blue and white 'new' tag on it.
Always. I can't change that. If there's not a tag, you have already looked at the new thread since the last post. All three of the folder titles will retain their 'new' tag until you look at them. Then it will be gone forever. That will make it easier to find the truly new posts.

Absolutely, there's only three folders. 'Club Stuff', 'Upcoming Events', and 'Everything Else'. I won't be duplicating any posts, only moving existing ones in and out of folders. The bulk of the traffic will be new proposed rides or events being moved into the 'Upcoming Events' folder, and rides that have happened being returned to the 'Everything Else' folder. Occasionally, as a new club-specific thread is created, it will be placed in the 'Club Stuff' folder.

Hope that answers your questions. If not, fire away...

·
Premium Member
1,679 Posts
Ok, I see how it works. I think my term "folders" is wrong, and that's what where I saw the problem. I guess they are to be looked at as "headings". I didn't noticed that they were locked, and that you were only using them as topic dividers, not actual "folders" to hold threads.

So, each new thread falls under "Everything Else" by default, where it remains, unless moved to under the "Club Stuff" or "Upcoming Events" heading and made "sticky" by you, and it remains there, until you release it. Seems a bit cumbersome and obviously puts a burden on you, but I do understand what is happening.

Funny, I never noticed the little "New" tags. I don't always log on when I check the board, and if you don't log on, you don't see those tags. And since I don't click on many of the threads, many of them have "New" flags when I do log on, so that's of little navigational help to me.

Anyway, at least I understand; thanks for the effort.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts