Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off, been awhile since I registered, but I've finally picked up a monster and am making it just the way I want it. Another month or two here for us Alaskans and I'll be back on the road again!

I cranked the heimjoints out on my 01 900 as much as is safe to do (leaving an equal amount of thread as the diameter of the hole that it's going into) and measured about a half inch gain in height from the axle to the frame. This, of course, was while the shock was removed on the Cyclecat DSS-1 that I dug up from the closet UNUSED at the dealership with which I'm employed.

Sent the shock to Lindemann in CA to get it worked since they actually have their heads screwed on straight (as opposed to RaceTech) and once they revalve and respring, they're going to send it back with a set of appropriate fork springs also. Having notated the ride height change with the shock, I'm excited for the results. Sure I could have got an Ohlins and done gixxer forks, but I'll be out of the woods for ~$400 with correct rate stuff, so what the hell.

Anyway, couple of questions:

Can I change the fork springs without separating the sliders? They're the adjustable S forks

Does a half inch sound about right for the ride height change with stock adjusters?

Any other suggestions while I've got it torn down? Was thinking of sliding the forks down ever so slightly, but it should be WAY quicker on its feet now anyway so maybe I'll see how it rides first.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
61 Posts
Hi, I can't answer all of your questions but I may be ale to help. My M750 is a race bike only, and I have messed about with the suspension a bit. The frame is the same as yours. Mine has 3 way adjustable Showa forks from a 900SS, and it will soon have a WP shock (I tried getting the OEM one revalved and sprung...I hope you have better success than I did).

Mine is raised at the rear AND lowered at the front. The problem is I'm not sure what the heights were when it was stock (lost my notes) so I don't know how much I've changed it.

If you could measure from the very back of the swingarm (in front of the adjuster) to the back edge of the pillion hand grips I can give you the amount I've raised the rear. AND if you measure from the bottom of the fork leg to a point on the triple clamps I can tell you how much I've lowered the front end.

This will help me too...

·
Premium Member
5,076 Posts
I change ride height 1/4" at a time just to be carefull and ALWAYS use a steering damper.
Yes you can change the fork springs simply by opening the top cap and using the compression tool for the spacer/nut.

·
Premium Member
5,076 Posts
You can also extend the hoop length with spacers and weld on some alternate hoop mounts to change the rising rate on the linkage - all fun to play with.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts