Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is another attempt for Honda to pass off one of their bikes as a Ducati "Dark" model.

·
Banned
3,931 Posts
That link has several problems with it, not least of which is the automatic translation of Honda by the forum software.

Try this one: http://tinyurl.com/2jwkf

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the link. I just noticed there was a problem getting to it.

X

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Does H*nda Corp. specifically tell dealers to maket these bikes against the Ducati's? When I bought my monster in August I stopped at a H*nda dealer to see what else was out there (even though the monster had already bitten me). He asked what other bikes I had looked at and as soon as I mentioned the monster he couldn;t get me over to the 919 fast enough. Then telling me how it was much better than the monster and of course cheaper. This thread just got me thinking that that might have been in the "how to sell a 919 manual"

·
Premium Member
1,200 Posts
Another cheap, artificial ,Japanese imitation of a real motorcycle.

·
Registered
385 Posts
I had 2 VFR 700's years ago, one with 63k miles on it. That was before I heard my first Ducati pass by.

I was instantly hooked, but will always have a spot in my heart for the Honda line. They are almost bulletproof if you take care of them.

·
Premium Member
72 Posts
I am pretty sure honda had the single sided swing arm first, ducati copied ;) (i think) I dont have anything against h*nda, hell I would love to have an RC 51, but I would take a 998 over a RC anyday ;D. And as someone said before that as soon as a duc passed them they fell in love. Same here, I was riding my cbr 600 f3 with my friend then a yellow 998 passed by us doing a wheelie with vance & hines pipes.........oh god it sounded AWESOME ;D from there on I have been in love with duc's

·
Registered
447 Posts
I had an Interceptor. Honda makes very good bikes. They just don't have a soul. I can't imagine going back to a Honda now. BMW is a different story.

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
I believe Honda had a single-sided swingarm on the NR 750, which pre-dates the 916.

The RC 30 also had a single-sided swingarm, but I am not sure if it was on all models and what years. I know the early ones pre-date the 916.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I thought Ducati paid Honda a fee for the permission to use their (Honda's) patented swing-arm technology. In any case, imitation is the sincerest form of flattery. And, in the case of Honda and Ducati, it would appear to be going both ways. Ducati's use of the swing-arm and Honda attempting to make their bikes more "Ducati-like". This, of course, is not the first time Honda's imitated a Ducati. Didn't they initially identify the Ducati 900 SS/SP as the target of their Superhawk design, only to go further and make it like a lesser 916? Nothing wrong with that. Makes the marques better. Competition is good for the soul. That said, know that I sold my Superhawk so I can pay more attention to my Monster. Couldn't see walking past a Ducati to get to a Honda.

·
Premium Member
922 Posts
Honda usually makes good products that are often over-engineered. Sometimes that results in overly complicated vehicles (I once owned a CB1000 with shaft drive, electric anti-dive, 2 transmissions and 2 shifters). More often, they are engineered so that they are transparent. The feel and operator committmant is minimal by design. That is fine for household appliances and MAYBE cars, but not bikes. Sometimes being technically perfect is not the best thing.

Driving back to back in my moter-in-law's Acura and my wifes Porsche is a pretty good illustration. The Acura has more HP, is quieter and much more comfortable. The Porsche is louder (motor and dry clutch), you can feel the motor and the road, steering takes effort and you can scrape a spoiler if the paint on the lines in the road is too thick. But the Porsche makes me smile. After all these years, my wife still mentions how much she enjoys her car.

Ride a Shadow and HD back to back and the Shadow feels bland. The Superhawk Duc-ripoff was a wonderful jewel of a motorcycle. I found myself riding faster in 3rd and 4th gears than my Superglide would run at top end. Yet I was bored. I am willing to admit that the Monster demands more of me to ride and that on paper the cost and performance comparison favors the Japanese bikes. But the Monster, and the Superglide, make me smile whenever I ride them.

Honda can say "look we built a Ducati (Harley, Porsche, Ferrari, whatever) only better". That does not make it true.

Doc

·
Registered
413 Posts
It was the 919 last year which was supposed to compete with the Monster. I have never seen one on the road!!
The Honda 919 is actually a pretty good bike, I own one but really havent ridden it since I got my Monster. I'm going to sell it when the weather gets better. The engine is really smooth with an incredibly flat power band. I dont think it handles near as well as the S4R though

·
Premium Member
126 Posts
I've owned several VFR's over the years, the first was an 1983 VF750,which was the genesis of the whole sport bike thing. The latest one was the last of the gear driven cam v-fours, a yellow 2000 VFR800fi (1998-2001 were the same bike). Theyre all great bikes and nearly bullet proof, and they're unique in many ways (ss swing arm, v-four power plant among them). I'm thinking that Honda doesn't copy much of anything Ducati does, nor does it need to. Apples and oranges in my book. Ducati and several other manufactureres don't approach marketing to the masses as Honda does. Ducati's focus is on the track and a niche market to follow. Honda and many others go racing only to develop technology that will sell bikes to the masses and obviously have had success in both areas. It all boils down to what fits your pistol. For many it's a Honda and for some it's a Ducati. Viva la difference!

·
Registered
461 Posts
I have an Interceptor, and it is an astounding motorcycle, for what it does. It competes with the ST Ducatis, as do several other brands. But it isn't a Ducati.

If someone uses red paint, is that copying because someone else did it earlier?

I'm deep into the 16,000 mile checkup (first major) on the VFR now, and am finding out what complexity is all about. V-TEC is a cool thing unless one has to work on it. The bike is dense - no room inside the plastic at all. But I'm going to do the valve adjustment right, because next year I have a 10 thousand mile trip planned for it. Something I certainly wouldn't do on my Monster, and something I'd have to think seriously about before doing on any Ducati. On the Honda, it's just another ride.

As far as paint goes, Ducati seems to have invented "Dark" as a way of keeping the price down for folks who want to paint it themselves. The 919 "Asphalt" is similar, though more durable. But in the case of the 919 it's a color, not a primer.

No one seems to have mentioned the MV "Darks" yet. Is MV plagarizing Ducati too?

-Don

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
Maybe Honda will come out with a Speed Art campaign...

Ha Ha Ha....

1 - 20 of 29 Posts