Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

41 - 60 of 61 Posts

·
Premium Member
164 Posts
You guys have got it all wrong..............................................

If you want great coffee at work , you need to do what I did.

You buy a Coffee Club franchise for between $500,000.00 (very basic store) to $1,000,000.00+ , then you employ 23 staff.

Then,.....................you make sure that you have the best baristas you can find.

Then you learn how to backwash, clean and maintain very high standards with the machine.

Then you retrain the baristas ( they are all premadonnas ) in how to dose the group heads correctly, heat the milk to the correct temp and texture, and time the pour to make sure it is in spec.

Then they must be able to pour the milk into the cup correctly to get the right consistency and leave a perfect pattern on top , all free hand of course. ( no spoons )

Then, and only then, do you come to work at 5.30 in the morning to set the store up. Once this is done and all the outside tables and chairs are out etc, etc , you will have a very nice coffee waiting on the counter for you to drink. Made by you very own professional Barista.

We actually do have some very , very good ones, and get heaps of very favorable comments on our coffees. A very large repeat business confirms this. Sadly, some are outstanding, some are great, and some are just good.

What can you do,.......................................................I know,........................sell the b*&%$# store and buy a better Ducati!

Regards to all, Steve

·
Premium Member
188 Posts
OK aside for the "extreme" IE buying your own shop - I too am a coffee freak. So rather than clogging up this site with coffee discussions, as nice as it is, how about you guys sign up to:

http://www.coffeesnobs.com.au/

Also the equipment is only part of the equation, the barista and of course the coffee are significant contributors to the end result. For those of you living in Western Sydney I'd recommend you drop into Morgans Coffee in Emu Plains. I've had some great coffee in my day but Dean's is right up there!

His link is:

http://www.morganscoffee.com/

So enough of that, just finished my doppio ristretto and now it's off for a ride - be safe out there!

·
Registered
45,105 Posts
Monster_Dorf said:
how about you guys sign up to:

You'll find me registered there as (surprise surprise) bigiain (more lurking than posting tho).

For those of you living in Western Sydney I'd recommend you drop into Morgans Coffee in Emu Plains.
+1 their Ruby Fire blend is _magic!_

There's a cafe in Katoomba called Coffee Box (down where the main drag flattens out as you head down the hill from the station) that serves Morgans coffee - well worth stopping in at if you're doing the Bells loop. (Cool cafe owner too, he rides a Katana and an RGV250, he's always happy to talk bikes if he's got a few minutes spare - a pile of bike mags under the espresso machine too if you're there on your own...)

big

·
Registered
476 Posts
Monster_Dorf said:
OK aside for the "extreme" IE buying your own shop - I too am a coffee freak. So rather than clogging up this site with coffee discussions, as nice as it is, how about you guys sign up to:
Yup, you will find me there too! As with Bigian my name is a suprise - R_usty...;-)

Good value site and +1 on the Morgans coffee!

Ciao,

R_usty

I wish I could say I was off for a good coffee but alas - all I have at work is an old Sunbeam that only has enough guts left to push some coffee through the porta..... steam is now non-existant.....so the microwave is the milk warmer ;-(

N

·
0 Posts
well after big and Rus's confessions I may as well join in.

Tho, I'm not goldFish on that one - this is reserved only for the DML!

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
Gentlemen, many thanks for your advice! Miss Silvia arrived yesterday, and after some experimentation she made several wonderful drinks this morning. The only problem is that the cafes around here are all bound to disappoint!

N

·
0 Posts
desmoquattro said:
Gentlemen, many thanks for your advice! Miss Silvia arrived yesterday, and after some experimentation she made several wonderful drinks this morning.
congrats Joe!

desmoquattro said:
The only problem is that the cafes around here are all bound to disappoint!
Ya get that! That's why we're pretty lucky to have more than a few excellent choices here. And don't take this the wrong way but generally coffee in the US sucked everywhere I went - I'm sure you can find good coffee, but man you have to know where. At least in Sydney a get a half reasonable effort from a lot of places, but as you said, the expectations get raised!

So where you sourcing beans? They need to be fresh, so when you buy them they should have a roast date on them.

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
goldFiSh said:
Ya get that! That's why we're pretty lucky to have more than a few excellent choices here. And don't take this the wrong way but generally coffee in the US sucked everywhere I went - I'm sure you can find good coffee, but man you have to know where. At least in Sydney a get a half reasonable effort from a lot of places, but as you said, the expectations get raised!
No offense taken, and I agree completely! After Zoe Cafe and Mecca, most of the coffee here in the US was a let-down. We're fortunate in San Francisco, since it's a but of a culinary hub and we have lots of good independent cafes.

goldFiSh said:
So where you sourcing beans? They need to be fresh, so when you buy them they should have a roast date on them.
Good tip. So far I've ben getting them frm a local grocery store, but I plan on going to Ritual Roasters.

·
Premium Member
642 Posts
Sorry guys - good coffee in SYD is almost impossible.

**dons flame proof suit ;) **

N

·
0 Posts
I tell ya what Jas, you get your doubting arse up here, and me, big and a few other espresso snobs will show you just how wrong that comment is.

;D

·
Registered
326 Posts
jasaretta said:
Sorry guys - good coffee in SYD is almost impossible.
obviously you're from Melbourne then! Where's your favorite place Jas? Tried Brother Buda Budan in Lt Bourke St in the CBD yet?

·
Registered
45,105 Posts
The Spider said:
obviously you're from Melbourne then! Where's your favorite place Jas? Tried Brother Buda Budan in Lt Bourke St in the CBD yet?
Hey, I'm from Sydney and I've got an answer to that question...

St Alis and Bean Ground and Drunk.

big

·
Registered
326 Posts

·
Registered
45,105 Posts

·
Premium Member
642 Posts
I thought my post would start a nice discussion. Now dont get me wrong - there is good coffee in SYD but my experience is that it is harder to find good coffee - I should say that most of my time is spent in the CBD. It sounds like some of the best spots aren't centrally located.

So give me some tips for next time that I'm there.

In Melbourne, I have a couple of favourites, Pellegrini - can't take the wog out of th boy ;) , little place near home called Apte, and of course my place LOL.....tried Brother Buda Budan once and liked it.

Summary - good coffee in both places. And my sig says it all - BAN CORPORATE COFFEE! It just lowers the bar for all of us.

·
Registered
326 Posts
don't get me started....

I work on Lygon street (right next to Lygon street food store) and some new staff members have tried to come to work for me holding st*rbucks buckets (after a certain size it is no longer a cup) in there hands...they are quickly told about our coffee policy!

:)

·
Banned
1 Posts
For espresso the choice the pretty obvious, Nespresso is the brand that has become the most preferred choice amongst most coffee lovers simply because you get all the required features at a pretty low price.

It's small, compact, can fit anywhere in the house, is easy to store and thus one brand I recommend every Espresso lover. Read about the top models from this brand on my blog https://freshpresso.net/best-nespresso-coffee-makers/

41 - 60 of 61 Posts