Fuel & Tolls to Katoomba...$20 AUS
Travelling 15,000 miles just to sip tea near the Three Sisters...priceless

·
Registered
245 Posts
goldFiSh said:
yeah, sorry had to work today ;D

All good advice.

Me, I have an ECM Giotto, and big is 100% right - don't skimp on the grinder...
I've just moved up to a 18g basket for a double shot, and have been seriously toying with the idea of doing a bit of home roasting. It's an addiction in more ways than one!

get that man a nescafe >:D
I have a coffee tree/bush in my yard never bothered to harvest it ???

N

·
0 Posts
that's right.

mick and rob, arcing up about the espresso talk. predictable.

;D

(that's OK, I'll still drink beer with you fellas!)

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
Big T said:
< Thread Jack >

Good Tea pot = $60
Good Tea leaves = $20
Tea Pot Cosy = $15
Kicking back enjoying a great hot cup of tea = Priceless

Great Tea Houses:
The Tea House = Queen Vic Building - Sydney
Tea Cafe (not sure of name) = Main Street - Katoomba

Beats $7,000 coffee machine - Okay flame away..... >:D

< End Thread Jack>
I just do not know what to say.

I bet you have a ginger snap or an iced vo-vo with your tea don't you T? And listen to a couple of 78's of Benny Goodman on your gramophone while playing bridge with the old dear ladies from bowls? ;D [cheeky]

·
Banned
550 Posts
Super T.I.B said:
I just do not know what to say.
I bet you have a ginger snap or an iced vo-vo with your tea don't you T? And listen to a couple of 78's of Benny Goodman on your gramophone while playing bridge with the old dear ladies from bowls? ;D [cheeky]
Hey Super you been peeking in my window again :eek: ....... Oooohhh you forgot the cucumber sandwiches..... ;D

And those old ladies are "rich" old ladies.... Got to feed this addiction some how... >:D

·
Premium Member
885 Posts
We start of talking coffee and end up talking beer....

I dunno, but my La Pavoni Professional certainly hits the spot and the steamer is great. Got a decent grinder too - can't remember the name, but it might be an ECM.

and if you want to really hit the spot, then I highly recommend 'Caffe Corretto'..... [cheeky] [thumbsup]

N

·
0 Posts
r_usty said:
Hey Goldfish,

That is one great coffee machine you have there [thumbsup]

If you get into roasting let us know how you go and I have been toying with the idea as well. And hey, lets have a coffee ride and then tasting at your place! 8)

Ciao,

R_usty
<minor threadjack>

your bezzera is no toy either!

no drama's - coffee tasting all good! I really need my new grinder first though.... We equally could do a north run and a tasting at your place as well!

Speaking of roasting, I stumbled across a guy two doors down from work who sells Has Garanti and other roasters - from popcorn poppers up to machines that handle hundreds of kgs in a batch. He had a 1kg and a 2kg roaster fired up on the day, and I ended up being really late coming home one day as I ended up watching the roast process and talking coffee!

<back on topic>
Joe you may also want to consider a couple of other things. It is generally considered that *most* devices that use a thermoblock rather than a boiler are toys and fall well short of the mark. The silvia is well respected as it used a commercial 58mm group, and a boiler among other things. It will also steam pretty well, but cannot brew and steam simultaneously.

You will also need to do quite a bit of playing round with temperature surfing on the Silva if you start getting really into it. Some people even fit PID controllers to Silvias! Go to coffeegeeks or similar and search for "temperature surfing" and you'll see what I mean.

I was actually very close to buyng a Silvia, but Broni actually upsold me to the ECM (like that was hard). The deciding factor for us was that whilst the Silvia would be perfectly good for the two of us, if we wanted to entertain, it simply could not keep up with the demand for a dinner party (or a group of duc riders popping in after a ride). There is simple too much "recovery" time for the boiler, and the situation gets much worse if you want to serve milk coffee as well as espresso. The ECM is a much larger footprint though, so it's time to come up with a custom "coffee station" away from the kitchen bench!

In terms of space, I found that I ended up needing more space than I originally thought. There's the machine's footprint, then the grinder, then the preparation space(s). One thing that you will discover with home machines is the mess. The grinding / tamping can get pretty bloody messy, so I have a seperate area for that. I also have a plastic mat under my grinder, which catches the majority of rouge coffee grounds.

·
Registered
11 Posts
My hubby and I splashed out on a Kitchenaid espresso machine and matching grinder over Christmas, in "empire red". I think that Kitchenaid is a US company so the 110v shouldn't be a problem.

I read some reviews which said that when the espresso machine was first released there was some sort of problem with some internal pipes leaking and there was a recall in the US because of it. I think that those issues are now sorted and ours is working well so far. Having nice coffee in the morning at home means that I don't buy them at work like I used to which is good because the coffee at the work cafe isn't that good anyway. :D

Oh, the espresso machine also has a double boiler so you can get both good crema and also good dry steam for foaming the milk, at the same time ;D.

Cheers
Liz

·
Premium Member
642 Posts
Expobar Brewtus - great machine - with a mini mazzer grinder - all up about $2800 about a year ago. Definitely worth every penny.

Best of all it has the Faema E61 group head which is where the action is. Also double boiler - so steam and water are heated separately. The ability to set the temperature at the group head is also important as you might want to change it dependon on your whihc coffee you use.

If you are in Melbourne go and see Russ at the Coffee Company.

jas

N

·
0 Posts
nice jas! It seems the same guy who does the roasters also imports expobar - they look like nice machines!

oh and I am very jealous of the mini mazer!

·
Registered
326 Posts
goldFiSh said:
oh and I am very jealous of the mini mazzer!
when I first brought it home, the wife said it was really big, when I first turned it on she said it was a really noisey.

When I delivered her a coffee in bed the next morning "God, I love that machine" (she wasn't talking about me)

it is to the point that if we had a fire in the place I'm sure she'd be running out of the place with a photo album under one arm and the Mazzer (wrapped in a baby blanket) under the other.

·
Premium Member
642 Posts
goldFiSh said:
nice jas! It seems the same guy who does the roasters also imports expobar - they look like nice machines!

oh and I am very jealous of the mini mazer!
It's a great machine - the mazzer and the expobar together are amazing. Look good too. ;)

·
Registered
972 Posts
My god you people make me sick..... Sick I tells ya!!

Have you seen how many hits this is getting??

I'm gunna have a word with Rob, and talk real mens beer!

Rob, Rob... Hey Rob mate do ya wanna talk about beer???

Mmick

21 - 40 of 61 Posts