Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,833 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Basically, I like to build things, and i need some stands.

Rear stand:
http://www.ducatimonster.org/cgi-bin/ImageFolio3/imageFolio.cgi?action=view&link=DML_Member_Bikes&image=rear_stand.JPG&img=&tt=

Front stand:
http://www.ducatimonster.org/cgi-bin/ImageFolio3/imageFolio.cgi?action=view&link=DML_Member_Bikes&image=front_stand.JPG&img=&tt=

Engine stand right side:
http://www.ducatimonster.org/cgi-bin/ImageFolio3/imageFolio.cgi?action=view&link=DML_Member_Bikes&image=esrightside.JPG&img=&tt=

Engine stand left side:
http://www.ducatimonster.org/cgi-bin/ImageFolio3/imageFolio.cgi?action=view&link=DML_Member_Bikes&image=esleftside.JPG&img=&tt=

M900 on said engine stand:
http://www.ducatimonster.org/cgi-bin/ImageFolio3/imageFolio.cgi?action=view&link=DML_Member_Bikes&image=bike_on_engine_stand.JPG&img=&tt=

Ok, the question. The engine stand seems to work well enough. I have that bar that connects the two sides, so there should be no side loading on the engine case, only the weight of the bike trying to shear the bolts or break the welds. It seems sturdy, but has a bit of front to rear wobble when i push on it to test its stability (like a sea-saw). All the flex is in the area of the engine plates, where the square tubing is welded in place. Do any of you who have the cycle cat stand expereince this type of flex, or is it totally rigid? I need to know if im going to be ok as is, or if i need to add gusseting for extra support. I also noticed that when i pulled out the front stand, the forks dropped a good couple inches. Is it ok to leave them this way, at what is bascially full droop? I built the stand so i can pull the frame for powdercoat. Thanks all, let me know what you think of my past few hrs in the "Monster Garage" :)

Kevin

H

·
0 Posts
Hell, Kevin. You are pretty crafty...

From your pics, the construction looks very similar. I would think that once you start to remove some of the heavier parts, (wheels, forks, etc) the see saw effect will be minimal.

S

·
0 Posts
Basically, I like to build things, and i need some stands.
what fun! gotta get a welder...

looks sturdy... roller blade wheels?

interesting... you pass a bar through the axle. this is fine for lifting, but this won't do you any good if you want to remove the front tire.

very decent! looks like you've got a large enough base to have a pretty stable setup for working on the bike.

Ok, the question.

H

·
0 Posts
Strati, I have to laugh every time I see a pic with your "work shop" in the background! Is that a recliner? LOL

·
Registered
8,800 Posts
Kevin,

It looks like the horizontal tubes on your engine stand are bowed a little, like a rocking chair. That might be allowing some 'seesaw' motion.

Your fork dropped a bunch due to the flexibility of your stand, which is attached to the bike a ways behind the CG. You could put a prop or a spacer under the front cylinder if the rocking is objectionable while you're disassembling.

IMHO, you can hang your forks at full droop for as long as you like, it's not going to hurt them.

·
Premium Member
3,833 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Premium Member
3,833 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
what fun! gotta get a welder...
I highly recommend getting one. TIG if possible. I love mine.

looks sturdy... roller blade wheels?
Yep, you nailed it.

interesting... you pass a bar through the axle. this is fine for lifting, but this won't do you any good if you want to remove the front tire.
I know. I only built the front stand so i could get the bike up in the air on both ends, to attach the engine case stand.

ha![/quote]

Nice! Im not allowed to have car/bike parts in the house :(

Kevin

·
Premium Member
3,833 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Kevin,

It looks like the horizontal tubes on your engine stand are bowed a little, like a rocking chair. That might be allowing some 'seesaw' motion.
They're fairly straight. All the rocking is up at the engine plates. The rest of the stand doesn't move an inch.

Your fork dropped a bunch due to the flexibility of your stand, which is attached to the bike a ways behind the CG. You could put a prop or a spacer under the front cylinder if the rocking is objectionable while you're disassembling.
No, like i said the stand doesn't move. The forks droop as I remove the front stand. It has to be the weight of the tire/ fork springs.

IMHO, you can hang your forks at full droop for as long as you like, it's not going to hurt them.
Thanks, good to know.

Kevin

·
Registered
447 Posts
I have a buddy and this weekend, I was going to try making my own stands also. Thanks for the ideas!

·
Premium Member
3,833 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hi Kevin,

Are the side plates bolted tightly to the engine? If not, there's your flex. If not, you are putting full shear load on the bolts, which isn't very healthy. On my stand, the side plates are bolted rigidly to the base plate and the engine and the only flex comes from the lift that the setup is resting upon.

:) Chris
Chris,

They are as far as i know. Ill give them a double check in the morning. I can tell just by looking at your stand why it doesn't flex, there's really no place for it to happen! :) Mine will flex more just because its physically larger (hehe, mines bigger) Im definitely going to double check the side bolts though.

Kevin

·
Premium Member
2,952 Posts
Kevin, could be that your stand is having a small amount of torsional flexing in the struts going up to the side plates. Might not even be enough to see. But with the ends of the bike way out there magnifying the motion several times, you see several inches of deflection at the front wheel. I can't remember enough of the radian rule or other geometry formulae to be certain, but I bet a deflection of only a few hundredths at the side plates will equal a couple of inches at the front end.

·
Premium Member
3,833 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Kevin, could be that your stand is having a small amount of torsional flexing in the struts going up to the side plates.

·
Premium Member
3,833 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
how would you remove the front wheel with your front stand?

I wouldn't. The only reason i built it was to raise the front to facillitate the attaching of the engine case stand. Looking at the forks, i may modify it to also be able to hook into the holes on the underside of them.

Kevin

1 - 17 of 17 Posts