Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 01 Monster 900. Is my tank hold up post missing or don't these models have one? My 750ss had it. I am wondering how do you guys hold that tank up when workin' under there?

D

·
0 Posts
Yep, if it ain't there it is definetly gone. ;D

to be honest, I haven't figured out exactly how the thing works. I can't seem to find a good place to hook the...um...hook.

·
Banned
1,350 Posts
The little rubber *fork* that straddles the tank flange on mine was ripped off after a dealer service. Is there anyone that supplies a decent replacement...something other than the chickensh!t rubber stock piece? Or should I just fabricate one out of Delrin at my fathers machine shop?

·
Registered
248 Posts
my rubber holder at the end of that tank holding rod is sheared too. So the cheaper alternative, I run a small plastic rope through center of the tank and under it and tie the 2 ends of the rope to the frame some where around the holding rods for the passenger.
By center of tank I mean outside of the tank through the latch, along the circumference of the tank.

·
Banned
551 Posts
I wouldn't worry too much about that little thingy - it is pretty much uselss and completely useless when the hook at the end falls off - which it most certainly will do.

Rest the tank on your shoulder in emergencies when you don't have anything else to hand - like a rubber mallot.

That thing sucks. Should be two little hydraulic lifts on each side of the tank - like when you open the trunk to your car. Now that would be a good uselful mod.

·
Registered
377 Posts
I just replaced the throttle cables and put a new Odyssey battery in my bike. Jammed a partially deflated soccer ball just behind the battery tray and went to town. To be honest, you can take the tank off pretty easily for any extended work in the area (carb work or installing Dyna Coils).

I never trusted that prop rod ever since the tip broke off unanounced and took a chunk of skin off my knuckle!

·
Banned
3,931 Posts
I never had any problems using my prop rod. Did they change them in the later years or something?

I probably still have mine in my big box of leftover parts.

H

·
0 Posts
I have now issues with mine , either... It stays under the seat without falling out, and works just fine when I need it. I had more of an issue trying to figure out how it was intended to be used.

·
Registered
248 Posts
I never had any problems using my prop rod. Did they change them in the later years or something?

I probably still have mine in my big box of leftover parts.
Scott,
willing to part with it? :). If you are I like to have my dibs on it.

·
Premium Member
1,200 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,677 Posts
Nichols Mfg makes a delrin replacement gizmo. They sent me a sample. I need to get off my butt and get `em in stock to sell them. :)

The little rubber *fork* that straddles the tank flange on mine was ripped off after a dealer service. Is there anyone that supplies a decent replacement...something other than the chickensh!t rubber stock piece? Or should I just fabricate one out of Delrin at my fathers machine shop?

O

·
0 Posts
i use an old , bent , 3/4 in piece of copper pipe to hold my tank up . it seems too work ;D

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
So, I gotta ask. Is there really a common problem with keeping the tank up? I just pull mine up and there it stays. Had it sitting up for days before and it's never fallen down. In fact, when I was working on the heads I removed the prop rod and never bothered to put it back.

Am I missing something?

-dj

1 - 20 of 25 Posts