Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I used to own a monster 695 (until it was wrecked) and although I did like the bike a lot, it was no fun at any speed on the freeway. I would have to tuck down and lay on the tank.

I see the newer models like the 696 and 796 have that tiny little mini-fairing in front of the instruments, and I'm wondering if that makes any difference.

Please tell me how you manage to ride these things on the highway for any length of time.

·
Registered
42 Posts
had the bikini fairing on my M1100 before I traded it in. Its the same one that is on the 696. I ran the bike with it installed, and with out it. I preferred the looks without the bikini fairing, but I will say, if you do a fair amount of freeway riding (65+ mph for extended periods), it does help. I found that with the fairing installed, the wind would hit me about mid/upper chest, but granted that will depend on your physical size. Try it both ways and you will know if you like it or not :)

·
Super Moderator
3,955 Posts
To some extent, any unfaired bike is going to be like that. I like the wind, so I don't mind the highway blast.

For very long trips, I do have a large magnetic tankbag that I pack everything into, and it also then serves as a pretty effective windblock as well, which I must admit is good if I'm going to be doing more than 300 miles in a day. With it, 500 in a day is easy, and 700 is not unreasonable.

Next week I'll be riding from San Diego (where I live) to Cleveland (where I'm working this summer). Four 600-mile days, Thursday to Sunday.

PhilB

Attachments

·
Premium Member
503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have a large magnetic tankbag that I pack everything into, and it also then serves as a pretty effective windblock as well...
It looks like you could rest your chin on that tank bag! How the hell does it stay on???

·
Super Moderator
3,955 Posts
It looks like you could rest your chin on that tank bag! How the hell does it stay on???
It's got 9 big magnets on the bottom, and I stabilize it with a long bungee, and it's just fine. It doesn't reach my chin. Although I can't see the instruments over it and have to peek around it to see how fast I'm going or how far I've gone on this tank of gas.

PhilB

·
Super Moderator
3,955 Posts
That's just crazy. Not safe at all.
Why? Mine is old enough that it doesn't have a tachometer, and it doesn't have an oil pressure gauge or a temperature gauge, and those three are really the only useful instruments on a vehicle, that tell you anything about how it is actually operating.

I'm going whatever speed is safe and prudent, so the speedo is just for info. I don't need to constantly monitor distance on the tank of gas; I can feel about how far I've ridden so a peek now and then is fine.

And there's a bunch of idiot lights I don't really need to worry much about anyway. I can look at my headlight button on the handlebar and see what it's set to, I'm monitoring fuel by mileage, the neutral and sidestand lights don't work, I can see both my front turnsignals so I don't need that light. And I don't need to worry much about the oil and battery lights because my bike never breaks. ;D So who needs the instruments?

PhilB

1 - 7 of 7 Posts