Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got caught in traffic today and watched the temp go up to 267. It's normally around 200 so this was quite abnormal for my Monster.

How high is too high, and who holds the record here?

·
Registered
374 Posts
I would guess over 320. I have had 280 before. On long rides, I usually hit around 250.

R

·
0 Posts
How about on a water cooled S4 or S4R? My fan kicked in Sunday for the first time at 228.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
i typically see about 170 - 200 on the S4R, but it
hasn't been very warm here (san diego) lately.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
I saw 280s on my 620. I think 220-ish is the highest on my S4R so far.

S

·
0 Posts
i topped out at 280 the day i picked my bike up. it hasn't topped out over 250 since then. . . .

L

·
0 Posts
228 is the highest so far on my S4R and my fiances 620 gets to 268 easily...all I can say is "OIL COOLER" as soon as summer hits for the 620 8)

·
Premium Member
838 Posts
i've never had my oil temperature over 210... and I'm in florida ???

·
Registered
461 Posts
My 620 has run into the 270 range, but oils are designed to work up to the 350 range. I guess if I ever see 300+ I might consider an oil cooler, but until then it would just be added weight and clutter.

-Don

·
Registered
195 Posts
My 620 has run into the 270 range, but oils are designed to work up to the 350 range. I guess if I ever see 300+ I might consider an oil cooler, but until then it would just be added weight and clutter.

-Don
It wouldn't surprise me if it wasn't an issue on the 2V Ducs, but I know that on some car engines (the Porsche 944 Turbo leaps to mind), the safe oil temp limit is lower simply because the exhaust valves are partially oil-cooled, and if the oil's too hot, the valves can overheat and burn. The 944 Turbo guys I know treat 275-300 as an absolute limit, and I know one or two who've burned valves by disregarding oil temp...

Personally, especially in town, I worry more about cylinder head temp (CHT). I don't know whether anyone's measured CHT's on one of these engines or what they found if so...

M.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the feedback.
Seems like I have quite a cushion until 300 deg. It's good to know that, but I'd hate to see that number show up...

R

·
0 Posts
I've posted a simular question before and I found out air cooled engines can go up to 300 (oil temp) and water cooled engine can go up to 230-240 (water temp).

Don't mixed up.

·
Premium Member
75 Posts
Hi all, Im in Brisbane Australia where the ambient air temp has recently been over 107 f . My S4R regulaly reaches 230f and I have seen it at 240 f. In traffic the fans come on and only just keep the temp in check. I always think its too hot on a cool day around low 70s the engine cruises about 185 f to 197 f . (all the f,s be weird for you guys we use celcius here so I have converted it)
I would be interrested in any feedback.
Guy

·
Premium Member
3,557 Posts
I have an '00 M944s.

I know with the 944 kit, that temperature is more of an issue. What do you guys use to see your oil temperature? I have nothing right now, and would be more than happy to invest a couple bucks to make sure I don't damage the engine.

Thanks,
Tigre

H

·
0 Posts
Do the water cooled machines read water temp, or oil temp? I would think water, considering there would be a thermostat and a thermal switch for the fan. If that is the case, it should read a lower temp than oil.

·
Registered
8,800 Posts
Water cooled bikes do indeed read water temp, highest I've seen while 'riding' in stop'n'go traffic in about 100 degF ambient temp is 225 degF coolant temp.

'02 S4 fans are controlled directly by the ECU, which monitors a coolant temp sensor. There is a second coolant temp sensor that feeds the LCD temp gauge.
My bike will NOT maintain normal coolant temp while sitting still for long periods, I have FHE from my driveway test when I was looking at battery temp early on in the Leaky Battery Days. Ambien tair temp was about 80 degF, engine at a high idle, IIRC about 2000 rpm. Coolant temp got to 200degF @ 5 minutes, 215 degF @ 10 minutes (whereupon the fans came on), and climbed steadily to 250 degF @ 30 minutes, with no sign that the cooling sytem could rein in the temp. The coolant gauge reads 'high' when temp is above 250, that's when I aborted the test...

Definitely not like modern cars that can likely run indefinitely while standing still on the hottest day with all accessories running... :-/

T

·
0 Posts
i dont know how hot mine has gotten as i dont have a gauge....but one night cruising down to hampton beach it was about 85 all night and by the time we rode down and then sat in trafic a bit the clutch decided not to work anymore cuz it cot so hot had to pull over and let it cool down for a little while

1 - 20 of 49 Posts