Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For the better part of the last 15 years I wanted a motorcycle, a Ducati. I got a divorce two years ago and bought my first bike, a Monster S2R1000 2006. Got it march 2020 and took my driving lessons after, got my licence in august.

20200725_190115.jpg

I had weeks/months to clean and fix the thing. I did not pay a lot of money for the bike, price was fair but this Italian needed some love.

I am an amateur mecanics, i'm a lot more knowledgable in electronics but I just love wrenching, doing things myself and learning. So I bought a pitbull stand and tools.

• Remplaced rear disc brake and caliper. Pads and brake piston were melted !
  • Never knew when was the last timing belt change so I installed new ones.
Dealer raised an eyebrow and deter me to do the job myself "this is a delicate operation, if tension is inadequate you will ruin your engine !!"
Still, I replaced the belts myself, yes tension tuned to 140hz.
  • This is an American bike, speedo in MPH so I replaced the cluser overlay to show speed in Km/h ( I'm in Canada ). Odo is still in Miles but at least speed is ok.
  • Right rear flasher was busted so I created my own tailight with flashers.
  • Replaced all fluids: motor oil, filter, both break fluids, clutch.

Had lot of fun with my Italian until a couple of days ago. Bike is not broken, it's just too cold outside for me.

Why is this guy writing this longgggg tale about his life ? This a Ducati mecanics forum, get to the point will ya !

I do have a small problem with the bike: when I stop at a streetlight, engine will idle at 3000 RPM instead of the ususal 1200 RPM.
I twist the throttle a couple of times to rev it, release the throttle but RPM will still stay high.
When this appends my solution is to gently release the clutch to drop the RPM. Once 1200 RPM is attained I can press the clutch lever and engine will rev normaly at 1200 RPM and stay. It can happen once or twice during a ride. Engine cold or hot. I pretty sure it's not something with the throttle cable getting stuck.
I don't think there is something wrong with the throttle mecanic, the throttle feels fine on the handle.

Am I looking for an air leak somewhere ? TPS problem ? Idle valve (stepper motor) ? Else ?

I just took the throttle bodys out. They need a good clean inside-out they are disgustingly dirty, ewwww!
20201121_152137.jpg

Another question : there are small diameter tubes that I can't identify. Between the throttle body and engine cylinder, on each intake duct, there is a nipple and tube.
Both tubes are connected together to a "T", then in one tube. The end of that tube is clogged with a nylon screw. (?) Does not look very airtight to me.
Is this to plug a sensor for tuning ? or else ? The tube are not listed anywhere in parts catalogs or shop manual. Is this factory ? Could not find any info about tubes connected to intake ducts. What are these for ? I could post some pictures if you want.

Capture.PNG

I tempted to remove the tubes and seal the nipple on each intake duct. Could the engine pull some air thru these tubes causing my high idle RPM ?

Sorry for my poor english, main language is french.

·
Registered
420 Posts
I think you have multiple posts in your single post...and one thing you glanced over...the rear brake...make sure there's freeplay in the pushrod...the fluid likely couldn't return and clamped down tighter than the ex-wife.

High idle instinct says vacuum leak...look for cracks in any rubber hose...could also be bad fuel....but I'm not particularly savy with your model...better advice is coming

I do know brakes...check for freeplay...1-2 mm

·
Registered
19 Posts
Nice looking bike! I am rebuilding my first Ducati too. From what I know from other motorcycles is high idle usually is a lean condition or like buhgaboo said a vacuum leak. The fittings on the connector attached to the intake boots are vacuum lines used for carb sync and also sometimes attached to an emissions charcoal canister on American bikes. I just removed mine and plugged them with I believe 6mm bolts and a crush washer. If you don’t plug those or the hoses are old that is probably the source of your lean / vacuum leak. And of course it could be in need of a carb sync. Does this only occur when it’s warm or all the time? Also I assume you did tighten the screws loose in the picture on the right on what I believe is the throttle position sensor?

·
Registered
314 Posts
I think you have multiple posts in your single post...and one thing you glanced over...the rear brake...make sure there's freeplay in the pushrod...the fluid likely couldn't return and clamped down tighter than the ex-wife.

High idle instinct says vacuum leak...look for cracks in any rubber hose...could also be bad fuel....but I'm not particularly savy with your model...better advice is coming

This is like the "Inception" of Ducati posts.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

" tighter than the ex-wife " lol I'll check the freeplay but rear brake is doing fine since I replaced disc+caliper+pads+fluid.

Bad fuel all summer long ? hum... I always put the best fuel I can find at any station, 91-93 octane.

Many thanks.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Nice looking bike! I am rebuilding my first Ducati too. From what I know from other motorcycles is high idle usually is a lean condition or like buhgaboo said a vacuum leak. The fittings on the connector attached to the intake boots are vacuum lines used for carb sync and also sometimes attached to an emissions charcoal canister on American bikes. I just removed mine and plugged them with I believe 6mm bolts and a crush washer. If you don’t plug those or the hoses are old that is probably the source of your lean / vacuum leak. And of course it could be in need of a carb sync. Does this only occur when it’s warm or all the time? Also I assume you did tighten the screws loose in the picture on the right on what I believe is the throttle position sensor?
Great, I will start by removing the hoses on the intake boots and plug the connections, seal this for air leaks, and check for other leaks.

The high iddle condition occurs when the engine is hot or cold. Seems to be not related to engine temperature. Carb sync ? This bike is injected. You probably mean throttle body sync, yes.

Don't worry about the loose screws on the TPS; i'm in the process of removing the TPS and stepper motor ( iddle valve ). I'll have the trottle bodys cleaned in an ultra-sonic bath.

If i still have the problem after that, i'll check for a lean condition.

Thanks for your time and the nice comment on my bike !

·
Registered
12 Posts
Good work on the bike, looks sharp!

You didn't mention if you're sorted on resetting the TPS once you put the bike back together - but if not, download this program and you can do it yourself for free as well as reset service indicators and many other features: jpdiag - You need the link at top of page for the iaw5am ecu.

The only cost will be the cables to connect to a laptop, get these ones - they work: Diagnostic Interface for GuzziDiag JPDiag DucatiDiag

There is also a handy belt tuning program underneath the above program that's well worth getting too. Finally there is also a link at the top of the page for the forum for any questions you may have and loads of instructions etc.

Hope this of some help and enjoy the shed time with your bike over winter!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Good work on the bike, looks sharp!

You didn't mention if you're sorted on resetting the TPS once you put the bike back together - but if not, download this program and you can do it yourself for free as well as reset service indicators and many other features: jpdiag - You need the link at top of page for the iaw5am ecu.

The only cost will be the cables to connect to a laptop, get these ones - they work: Diagnostic Interface for GuzziDiag JPDiag DucatiDiag

There is also a handy belt tuning program underneath the above program that's well worth getting too. Finally there is also a link at the top of the page for the forum for any questions you may have and loads of instructions etc.

Hope this of some hell and enjoy the shed time with your bike over winter!
As of today, bike is still in pieces. I never thought about reseting the TPS after puting it back together. Never looked into diag tools to interface to the ecu. Other than the dealer, I did not think amateur mecanics could acces the ecu unless your flash the thing with an alternative firmware. Stock settings are good for me, there is more than enough power on tap for a beginner like me ! I just want the bike to run flawlessly. I checked your links, will order the cables and download the software. Real good info information you gave me. Thanks.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts