Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys, i just installed real HID on my Monster. ghetto mounted the ballast under my seat for the time being... what do you think? email me for more pics or if you have any questions.

Monster w/ HID, next to a 916 and r1

Monster w/ HID in the dark

ghetto mounted ballast

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I went with a HID 6000K bulb that was retrofitted to fit an H4 housing. this pretty much made it a plug and play type application after i did some wiring.

the ballast is a Hella brand ballast that i got off ebay. this ballast was off a BMW 7 series and had the ignitor built in, making it one compact unit. i mounted it under the seat for the moment because it's the only place i could find that let me hide it and had enough space (barely).

the wiring wasn't too difficult but it took some time and testing throughout the process. for it to work, the connection between all the wiring had to be perfect or else the bulb would not fire up.

i wired it so that i could put my regular bulb back very easily, so there was no cutting of any original wires. the wiring goes from the stock harness to the ballast and then back to the front to connect to the bulb. i would say wiring it was the hardest part of this mod.

the difference is like night and day, as you can see from the pictures. the beam carries further and is wider, not to mention that it's also brighter. would i recommend it? YES, you do lose your high beams...worth the trade off...

i'll post more pics when i take them and try to answer any questions that ya have. if you're interested, i have another ballast and HID H4 bulb for sale. it's a K2 ballast with the ignitor built-in and the bulb is an 8000K HID bulb. do some research and let me know. thanks.

W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You are going to want to make your own relay for your new setup. Their is the potential that you will fry your electrical system without proper measures....this can be very bad.

Did you use the stock headlight housing? Can you take some pics of the bike in front of your garage door at night time (no other bikes around)? This will give me a good idea of the light spread and if any leakage is occurring....

I am in the process in deciding how I wanna upgrade my headlights right now...I don't know if the stock houseing with an H4 bulb will suffice or if I need to retrofit a D2R bulb and projector setup inside it.

Here is my WRX with HID projectors retrofitted into the stock headlight housing. They are a dual beam HID setup (both high and low) from a European BMW 7 series.

http://www.pbase.com/dwperry33/headlights

·
Registered
195 Posts
I am in the process in deciding how I wanna upgrade my headlights right now...I don't know if the stock houseing with an H4 bulb will suffice or if I need to retrofit a D2R bulb and projector setup inside it.

Here is my WRX with HID projectors retrofitted into the stock headlight housing. They are a dual beam HID setup (both high and low) from a European BMW 7 series.

http://www.pbase.com/dwperry33/headlights
Hey, that's a really nice setup on the WRX... I put one of the crude retrofit kits into my '88 BMW (bulb modified to plug into a 9003 socket, stock projector lamps) and the cutoff, while decent, unsurprisingly isn't as tight as that. How did you go about retrofitting the BMW stuff to the Subie? Did you get parts out of a yard and assemble yourself, or did someone sell the stuff as a kit? How difficult was it to put together and get rigidly mounted, aimed right, etc?

M.

W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I went with a company located in New York called www.hidtech.com

Good customer service, and have a bunch of different options for the bulbs, ballasts, housings, paint, etc..

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i did use the stock headlamp for now and there is alot of leakage and the cutoff isn't perfect.

·
Registered
86 Posts
i did use the stock headlamp for now and there is alot of leakage and the cutoff isn't perfect.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Just as a matter of interest i recently changed all my spot lights and head lights on my FJ40 which i have fully restored - 8 lights all in all facing forward to now house HIR not HID as the cost if out of this world - would reduce the cost for monsters as well. Thinking about doing th S4R sooooooon ;D

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I would go with the light that can do a good job of holding one of these guys:

I would retrofit a "quality" projector into any one of the first two options....just make sure it isnt a textured headlight cover.

W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
yea i would go with those but that take way too much modification of any headlamp that i go with, not to mention the cost for all the equipment.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts