Premium Member
620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Premium Member
620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks SDmike!

There is some excellent information on that site. It provided some information, which I had no idea.

Thanks!
AC

·
Registered
74 Posts
im looking for a bulb that looks like a fog light(yellow), but acts like a headlight or better. is there such a thing?

G

·
You may find one from a European site or maybe even a US site specializing in European equipment. Yellow-ish bulbs were required in France for decades.

Check this place: http://www.autolamps-online.com

I bought my Phillips bulbs there and the prices were decent and the delivery pretty speedy.

·
Registered
400 Posts
I'v been using the PIAA X treme white for about a year now. It is the best halogen bulb that I've tried so far.
I'll second that on the PIAA X-treme White bulbs. I've been using them most of this riding season and they are far superior to stock. When I bought mine I bought a set for my Mustang and a 2-pack of H4's to try on my bikes. When I installed the ones in my car I did a side by side comparison with the stock bulbs and found that the PIAA's are far superior to the stockers. One of the H4's is installed in one of my vintage Japanese bikes and the other in my Duc. Night riding is not the issue it once was.

I've also had the opportunity to pass other vehicles using the cheap auto store "HID" like bulbs and noticed that the light their headlights put to the ground pales in comparison to mine.

In short, what I wanted was better lighting in front of my vehicles. I could care less if they look like HID lights so long as they make my driving/riding experience safer. And the PIAA's do that.

·
Premium Member
243 Posts
MikeD5172,

Thanks for the info. PIAAs for me.
What are your other bikes??

·
Registered
400 Posts
This is the one I used on my Monster:
That's the same ones I have.

Thanks for the info. PIAAs for me.
What are your other bikes??
Well, let's see. I have two CB750's; a K2(72) and a K5(75), a CB550(76), a Yamaha SR500(80) and a Yamaha XS1100F(79). The K2 currently has a set of clubman bars, LP/Emgo quarterfairing, 4-1 pipes and K&N pods. It is an absolute blast to ride. The others are stock for now. The K2 is the other bike that has a PIAA bulb in it. The lighting performs rather well for using a cheap reflector but I have a new, Euro-spec, Hella reflector that I need to install. It will be interesting to see how well the Hella reflector performs with the PIAA bulb.

·
Premium Member
54 Posts

·
Registered
400 Posts
Also check out these guys:

http://www.bmwxenon.com/ducati.html

Not a "real" HID system but the bulbs are reasonable and look better than the PIAA's. There is a thread about this going on right now on the SPeedzilla forum under the General Ducati Chat forum:

http://speedzilla.zeroforum.com/zerothread?id=17743
I checked the bmwxenon site and they don't sell the H4 that we need for the Monster headlights. I also read the thread at the speedzilla site and I see that Jimmy540i, or whatever his handle is, put in a plug for his bmwxenon bulbs. There was another poster that more or less quoted Daniel Sterns and had links to DS lighting in his response but I didn't see any responses other than those promoting the bmwxenon lights from regular posters that had used the bmwxenon bulbs. Keep in mind that these people want to sell you their bulbs and will say certain things to cause you to doubt the competition's product.

So, with that in mind, go forth and do your research and decide what you want to put in your headlight. Just remember that Phillips, PIAA, Hella and a whole slew of others have been around a while and have a pretty good handle on the latest gas and filament technology.

·
Premium Member
122 Posts
I have a pair of Phillips Gold inside my twin headlights. Its alot better than white bulbs. Too bad they dont make those bulbs anymore.........it has a yellow/bluish light of them. Stands out from the crowd too. When turned off there is a blueish/yellowish gleaming in the headlights.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts