Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

hibernation

560 views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  orvieto 
#1 ·
As New England resident, it's a sad time that you have to store your summer toys.
Beside gasoline and oil stuff, what should I do?

This is a first winter with my Italian lady.

I have a pit-bull rear stand, should I put her on the stand?
Should I buy front one? Which front stand is better, on the fork or on the stem?

Thank you!

#3 ·
definitely use a front fork stand that lifts from the triple. It is important to get all the weight off the front forks so they can stay fully expanded. I learned that with a dirtbike i had. I left it just sitting in the shed all winter and the cold really did a number on the rebound. they drooped lower. if you think about it too, so you forks are basically compressed by the weight, and then it gets really cold which is going to shrink fluids and gas in the forks too. So then your forks compress more, and push the springs more. 4 months later after your springs have been compressed forever, they aren't gonna have that return when you hit potholes.

#4 ·
Thank you guys!

Yes, I'm not really ready, so I may be riding this weekend...

Thank you about front stand, I will purchase a stem one.
But, how about rear stand? The one I have (or most rear stand) is lifting swingarm which is compressing rear shock and spring.

Best,

#5 ·
yes, but the rear shock is a much more heavy duty as it is a sealed gas shock (no oil) and just try lifting the rear with your hands, it hardly moves. i wouldn't worry about it. The important thing is getting the tire off the ground to keep it from cracking, Maybe loosen its dampening if its adjustable. There is really no good method for lifting the rear with out putting weight on the swingarm either.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.