Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well, new to me at least. ;D it's a '94 m900 that i picked up a few weeks back.

initial impressions: i love it. i've been riding a 900ss for a while, which is wonderful in its own right, but the monster lends itself so much more to putt-putting around and playing hooligan on the city streets. but mine's a little temperamental. if i could just iron out the last few kinks in it... so here's what i've got, maybe you folks can offer your insight.

#1: hard starting when it's cold. the bike only cares to start with the choke off. after starting, it'll turn over a few times and stop. any throttle and it'll stop. after about 3-6 attempted starts like these, it'll finally find its groove and idle nicely, at which point, i let it warm up while i get my gear on before getting underway. i've grown used to this routine, but would really like to figure out what the problem is. there are times when i come precariously close to draining the battery with this repeated starting. once, shortly after i bought it, i actually did drain it, but luckily, i was at home and just pushed it back into the garage.

everything is freshly tuned. juices, filters, and plugs are all new, valves and belts are all well adjusted. 12.04 standing voltage, 14.03 charging voltage. the bike comes off from a solid-green-light battery tender each morning. oh yes, it doesn't like the choke because it seems to cause too much 'load'. with the choke on, the engine has a much harder time kicking over. the starter sounds slower and more stressed, the indicator lights visibly dim as it's kicking.

so what's the problem look like? fuel mixture (see gripe #2 below)? starter on it's way out? some other electrical bug? i was toying with the idea of getting some dynacoils for the bike anyway; would this help the situation any or just make it worse?

okay, moving on to:

#2: drive lash. you know, going from only-slightly-open throttle to no throttle, the abrupt deceleration is lurching. the worst is when i'm in the middle of a turn or going over road reflectors, and a bump causes my hand to close the throttle, and the lurching adds even more instability to an already precarious situation. my monster's front end is twitchy, and only gets amplified whenever i have to roll off the throttle mid-turn. someone told me to get a steering damper, but i think most of my handling issues would probably be taken care of if i could somehow lessen this lurching.

"oh, that's just the way those bikes are," i've heard. but the lash on my 900ss is hardly noticeable at all, and that's *almost* the same engine, no? but that one's FI, so that can obviously be a variable.

so i'm suspecting i can play with the carb somehow to fix this. is there any way to tune this out? rejet or play with the fuel mixture somehow to make the transition iess abrupt? "oh, just practice smoother throttle control," you might say. but this is going from like 1/16th throttle to no throttle; how smooth can you possibly get? am i doomed to just using the clutch every time i roll off the throttle?

my apologies for the long post. any input would be mucho appreciated. and if any monster owners in the SF bay area care to take my bike for a spin to compare notes and confirm whether my issues are real or just plain craziness on my part, i'd gladly buy you a beer ;D

·
Registered
10 Posts
Re: hi & Qs (hard start,drive lash) on new mon

I am no expert.

Had the bike for 48 hours and this is my first bike.

However, I am experiencing exactly the same symptoms.

I hope you are not embarrasssed by been compared to a pseudo-inexperienced squid like me :-[, but I would like to read other more experienced rider's comments on this issues.

Perhaps the carburated monsters behave like that? ::)

or perhaps, increasing idle to 1500 rpm might help?

Or perhaps I just need practice? ???

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

mg: welcome to the world of two wheels. [smiley=waytogo.gif]

as for being embarrassed, i don't see anything to be embarrassed about. there ain't no shame in not knowing. :)

only trouble's when you don't know you don't know, or worse, know that you don't know but make like you do know because figuring out what you don't know would destroy the illusion of what you like to think you know but actually don't know...ah, screw it, i think i lost myself, maybe i'll just go out and buy a steering damper

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

wow. thanks a bunch! that positive terminal thingy certainly helped a bit. i've never seen a connection so decrepit before. took some fine grade sandpaper to it, and it seems to turn over a bit better now. as soon as i get my ss back, i'll try switching batteries and see if that fixes things entirely.

my mixture adjustment screws seem to be frozen. any way to work them loose without pulling the whole carb off? is it safe to use liquid wrench or pb blaster on them?

mods: perhaps this thread should be moved to 'tech' since it seems to have taken a turn in that direction.

·
Registered
45,105 Posts

now that you have the connection clean. pack it with dielectric grease. sorry, shoul have thrown that in first time. also, if you have a voltmeter, make sure your voltage drop from battery positive to starter positive is less than 0.5 volts (general any vehicle spec).

lets see....94 bike, who knows how long the screws have been frozen? i would try, but wouldn't make that recommendation to someone since the damage can be expensive.

yeah, this post should be moved to tech cause you might get more responses

1 - 6 of 6 Posts