Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

Hi from the frozen tundra in MN

719 views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  brycat 
#1 ·
Just got a new 696 monster and had first ride yesterday. The brakes are freaking me out! There is no such thing as a slight brake with this thing and when I get to the break and start braking with 2 fingers I turn the throttle! The clutch is also an issue. Are all of them cold blooded? I need anyones help! Mirrors are also an issue for me just as several others I have read. I am afraid to get back on it today. Help!!!

#2 ·
Ok lets take it one at a time...

Braking. The 696 has awesome brakes. You need to use them lightly while you get comfortable. If you are twisting the throttle, then I guess the adjustment may be to far out for your hands? What year do you have? The '09 do not have an adjuster dial like the '10 does, but you can adjust them by removing the glue in the screw head and back it out a bit.

Clutch. You said its an issue. What exactly? Reach to it? Then use the same technique as above. Too easy to use? Again practice is the key.

How much experience do you have?

Mirrors...They suck. Bar end may help. How tall are you? I installed risers to make the bars higher and it helped with the mirrors as the main problem is they sit too close to the bars and never clear your shoulders and elbows.

Cold starts. This bike hates to be cold. To start correctly, flip the fast idle lever all the way toward you and click starter. Once it fires, let it run a few seconds up to a minute then slowly push the lever away from you to bring the idle down. I need to do this even when it is 70* outside.

Search this board. There is a ton of info on making your bike better such as installing a 14tooth front sprocket, better seats, risers, mirrors ect.

Go out and ride it.

#3 ·
I agree that the stock mirrors blow and you can't see anything out of them. Bar end mirrors are tiny but do the job nicely and you can get the kind that fold in for lane splitting (or just to protect them when you're not on the bike.)

#4 ·
Thank you soooo much! The bar risers were a blessing as was the cold start info! The mirrors still suck but thanks 2 all of u I m able 2 enjoy the new bike! Still getting used 2 clutch and brakes but havin a blast doing it! Coming off from a Harley street bob 2 ducati is a big change! U all r a valuable asset 2 ducati owners! Happy 2 b a part of it now!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.