Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey All, good to be here.

I've got a 2014 M659 ABS which I bought new from the dealer in late 2013. I've always understood it to be the Australian only LAMS (Learner Approved Motorcycle Scheme) version of the M696 ABS. Basically, to be a "LAM" it must not be more than 660mL with a power-to-weight ratio that does not exceed 150kW/t. So the 659 is pretty much just a 696 with slightly smaller engine capacity and a throttle restrictor... which I quickly deleted.

I've done a few things to it over the years:
  • Removed the throttle restrictor. Well actually, I did better than remove it, I disabled it in a way that it can very easily be re-enabled. Useful for insurance eval situations but better yet, retaining resale value later as LAMS bikes are good sellers in Aus.
  • CF Termignoni exhaust cans, they sound so damn good compared to the tinny stock bullshit and they look and perform better too. They came with their own replacement ECU which is cool.
  • I hated all the random grey/silver parts like the headlamp surround, some of the heat shields, the piece that holds the pillion footpegs whatever it's called...so I pulled them all off and had them powder-coated black. Looks way better. Real murdered out with very small red and silver accents.
  • Eliminated the fender and the rear signals. Results in a much cleaner cooler look. Replaced the brake light with an integrated unit which signals as well, not technically legal in Australia but I haven't been pulled up on it yet and I ride pretty confidently in front of cops all the time.
  • Also got rid of the tiny little windshield behind the dash. Hated the look of it.
  • Removed the rear mudguard. Reveals more of the wheel which looks better to me.
  • Adjustable brake and clutch levers.
  • Rizoma front signals which look amazing and are brighter and safer
  • Sliders on the engine mount and both wheels
  • Replaced the rear wheels tire valve/stem with a nice billet alu right angled one after the stock straight one snapped in half and all the air came rushing out.
That's probably it. I have more hopes and dreams for it but everything for a Ducati costs hella coin.

Some more CF bits, new black handle bar or clip-ons maybe? New mirrors are a must, I hate the stock ones. Some nice grips. Fancy reservoir covers. Maybe rear sets, though I do like the comfortable riding position it's got atm. Maybe wrap the exhaust? Maybe not, how cafe is too cafe for a modern Ducati? A see-through wet clutch cover would rock my world, one day maybe. A new ECU that would let me give it a proper tune would be nice too. Maybe change up the sprockets, get some more go at the bottom by sacrificing some at the top? A quick shifter would be sick.

I've got a couple of weird issues with her that I might ask for some advice on in another thread but generally, she's super reliable. My brake and clutch fluid seems to disappear really quickly, I myself and two different shops can't find a leak or anything so it's a bit of a mystery. Also, my ABS doesn't work. In the dash menu it states ABS = off and it won't let you turn it on. I remember it used to work but hasn't for some time. Will probably need to take it back to the dealer for that one.

I got a real sexy new lid recently to go with her. Matches perfectly with the colours/style everything. Bell Eliminator Carbon RSD THE CHARGE MATTE-GLOSS BLACK. I love it so much.

Anyway, that's where I'm at with it. I love riding her to bits but my life forces me to be more of a commuter/city rider than a mountains or track guy which is a shame.

I'd appreciate any tips on performance/speed improvements that can be done and any cool part/accessories sites that are suitable. Sorry for the rant, felt good to share amongst like-minded friends.

Cheers

·
Registered
18 Posts
Love to see a pic with all the blacked out look. I agree the bike is fairly damn nice actually, but there are a few silver/grey bits that don't make sense...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sorry, here you go! Since that post, I've added the new mirrors. They're cheapies for now to try the new format, really like it so far. Needs a clean and detail.

Attachments

1 - 5 of 5 Posts