Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First post was awhile back, I'd be supprised if you guys remember(new rider, new monster, bad engine) thanks to all the advice everyone gave me. Turns out the problem with engine was carbon build up was apparently rubbing the valves. Now I picked this bike up for at a stupidly low price, and even though it looked nice and had low miles ('97 w/ 6,800miles) I new it was going to need some work, but DAMN, I'm usually a patient guy but this waitng to get my bike back is killing me: ) What i wanted to ask was a tech questiion and a asthetics question, here goes... First, this bike had carbon build up so bad I had to rebuild my engine after only 7000 miles, now I have no idea what the previous owner did to this poor bike but what might have caused this, or more importantly what can i do to keep this from happening again. Now for the asthetics/ opinion question. This bike was a pretty stock '97 750 Monster, and now that there is hope that this lovely bike is going to be running again soon, I'm getting the itch to customize (I can hear eyes rolling already: ) I was looking to do some custom paint (I've got a hankering for that matte uranium color on honda's 919) but I've had more than a few folks say that a painted bike is a wrecked bike and it kills the resale value. Wanted to ask you folks wether you had seen this happen to your monsters? I don't plan on selling it any time soon and I feel its a crime not do something to your monster to make it your own (cause they look so purty all crazyfied) let me know what you folks think, or if you got any advice for things to take care of first as far as performance upgrades. Thanks...Peace

Aleph

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re: Hey Folks (on the PAINT subject)

Hey Aleph,

On the PAINT subject, I am also curious about what others think about non-stock colors on monsters... was about to start my own thread, but I did a search (on "paint") and came up with your thread (that I incidentally just read earlier today).

·
Banned
3,931 Posts
If you have a 97 M750 with original paint, you want to keep it that way. That model was the only one that came in silver with the old-style logo on the tank. It would be a shame to paint over it if it's still good.

·
Premium Member
5,076 Posts
Paint it however you like, just don't expect the resale value to go up. Generally, people paint bike after they crash, but if you're keeping it awhile, who cares.
Run regular gas & it will cut down the carbon build up.

·
Registered
447 Posts
As far as cutomization is concerned, we collectively wondered "what took you so long?" ;D

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
How can you "hear" eyes rolling? Maybe they need lubrication. ;)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts