Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

Heresy - Is 'Twist of the wrist II' a hard read?

3K views 24 replies 19 participants last post by  davidbeinct 
#1 ·
I was given 'Twist of the wrist II' written by the much respected and recommended Keith Code.

Anyone else think this is a very hard read?

I do not mean to criticise the intent or the content but I feel that the author does not make his points clearly or particularly concisely and this would all be extremely difficult for a novice rider to understand or an experienced rider to absorb.

#4 ·
I agree with you totally. I tried several time to read that, but the writing style was sooooo tedious I just couldn't get through it. One the other hand I absolutely LOVED reading and learned so much from Sport Riding Techniques by Nick Ienatsch. So much so that when I was ready to take a high performance riding school I chose Freddie Spencer's because he is the lead instructor there. I fgured that I could learn and relate more to that teaching style.

#6 ·
The thing that pisses me off about the book (Twist of the Wrist 1)... There are so many open ended questions.

Such as:

Will you try it?

Will this help you?

Can you apply it?

etc..

I hate those friggin foot notes!! :mad: ;)

#7 ·
I got a Twist of the Wrist vid from the library and found it horribly tedious to watch. I won't try reading the books after that.

I too like Sport Riding Techniques.

#8 ·
I am glad to hear all your opinions somewhat concur with mine.

I was so worried that I had lost the ability to read and learn from the written word.

I believe the content is in there but blame very poor editing or no editing (an Editors job is to make the book readable)

#9 ·
I bought 'Soft Science'... it seems like it's written in english, but I'm really not sure.
I gave up the first time I tried to read it.
I spent $20 on it, maybe I'll try again.

#10 ·
CRASH! said:
I got a Twist of the Wrist vid from the library and found it horribly tedious to watch. I won't try reading the books after that.

I too like Sport Riding Techniques.
Me too, except I bought the video. I was underwhelmed by the presentation style & overall production.

Ienatsch's book was easier to read and more enjoyable than watching the Code video.

#12 ·
I've read TOTW II, but it's been a few years. It was definitely difficult to understand and learn from. More recently I read Total Control by Lee Parks and found that more useful. I'll probably read TOTW II again, just to see if I can pick up anything useful after having read a few other books on riding technique since then.

#13 ·
I'm not knocking Code's content; just his presentation. I did get some useful info from it, but nothing you can't get elsewhere in a more readable format.

#14 ·
I had a similar experience with Twist of the Wrist I, although I did find that once I got about halfway through it, it got much more readable. I don't know if that's because I got used to the style, or if it really did get better, but either way it started to make sense and become useful.

#17 ·
The TOTW books may be difficult reads, but the info in there is invaluable and the guy really knows his stuff. Everyone should read them anyway, or at least #2. I signed up for his school about 8 years ago at Texas World Speedway but got rained out on the first lap. I was able to meet him at a Doc Wong ride once though and have an interesting conversation about something I had discovered about finishing my turns better. Seemed like a really great guy with an open mind.

#18 ·
I agree just finished reading it again after about 8years and it was a labor. Great info but poor delivery. I think it could use a good updating and reprint. I think the side notes are usually not needed and don't help the flow if the book. I would also like to see and appendix with a brief follow up of exercises and the SR's. I believe there is some great information that could be presented in an easier was too follow and understand and also make the reading process enjoyable.

#23 ·
Hi.

I've got a background in auto road racing/solo and I've read lots of automotive authors and their take on performance driving and such: Bob Bondurant, Skip Barber, (Jim?) Russell, etc. All have good content and good things to say.

I decided to bone up on the motorcycle skills and have Code, Parks and Ienatch.

I liked Code, even though it is annoying to define common English words. There is good stuff in there, but you need not take everything he says word for word. Like some other things, you can take some and leave some. You will still be thinking and you will still likely improve your attitude and skills.

I LOVE the Lee Parks book. The best in this category and the most oriented to street skills versus race track. Love it.

I didn't care for the Ienatch book. He seems to contradict some of the other stuff, especially in Parks about the bike needing to be off-throttle to turn where Code and Parks seem to think that the throttle (on) is the key to turning.

I hear Ienatch saying that a bike "tightens up" its line through a corner when off-throttle and Parks/Code saying a bike tightens up its line when on-throttle. I know this is a gross simplification, but...that's what I'm hearing.

My very limited road experiece and my concept of what's happening agrees more with Parks and Code than with Ienatch. Go into the corner, throttle it up some more and the bike turns better. Lift off the throttle and it goes wide.

Cars do the opposite, most of the time.

I'm sure Ienatch is a good rider, and he's a FAR better writer than Code, but I don't agree with some of his stuff and like the way Parks/Code conceptualize it better.

Ah well...

#24 ·
I highly recommend the Reg Pridmore Book 'Smooth Riding - the Pridmore Way'

Of the books in my MC library (incl ones mentioned above) , this book comes closest to being the best fit for me and the way I ride. It is clear and concise and an easy read with good diagrams / pix.

I totally agree with him on the point 'Body Steering'

Only thing I could not agree with him on was when he discusses RPM ranges for riding Ducati V Twins

#25 ·
Butcher said:
I decided to bone up on the motorcycle skills and have Code, Parks and Ienatch.

I LOVE the Lee Parks book. The best in this category and the most oriented to street skills versus race track. Love it.

I didn't care for the Ienatch book. He seems to contradict some of the other stuff, especially in Parks about the bike needing to be off-throttle to turn where Code and Parks seem to think that the throttle (on) is the key to turning.

I'm sure Ienatch is a good rider, and he's a FAR better writer than Code, but I don't agree with some of his stuff and like the way Parks/Code conceptualize it better.

Ah well...
I've not read the Ienastch book (Sport Riding Techniques?) but I'm surprised to hear what you say. Obviously not disagreeing, just surprised. His article The Pace is a classic piece on how to approach street riding on a sport bike. Of course it's mostly about how to keep sanity and fun together, not as much about the mechanics of riding.

David B.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.