Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
21 - 25 of 25 Posts
Only kidding, ofcourse. ;) They aren't for sale.
Of all his books, Twist 2 is the most applicable for street riding and I thought did a great job!
I still go back for a refresher unless someone is borrowing it.

Hi.

I've got a background in auto road racing/solo and I've read lots of automotive authors and their take on performance driving and such: Bob Bondurant, Skip Barber, (Jim?) Russell, etc. All have good content and good things to say.

I decided to bone up on the motorcycle skills and have Code, Parks and Ienatch.

I liked Code, even though it is annoying to define common English words. There is good stuff in there, but you need not take everything he says word for word. Like some other things, you can take some and leave some. You will still be thinking and you will still likely improve your attitude and skills.

I LOVE the Lee Parks book. The best in this category and the most oriented to street skills versus race track. Love it.

I didn't care for the Ienatch book. He seems to contradict some of the other stuff, especially in Parks about the bike needing to be off-throttle to turn where Code and Parks seem to think that the throttle (on) is the key to turning.

I hear Ienatch saying that a bike "tightens up" its line through a corner when off-throttle and Parks/Code saying a bike tightens up its line when on-throttle. I know this is a gross simplification, but...that's what I'm hearing.

My very limited road experiece and my concept of what's happening agrees more with Parks and Code than with Ienatch. Go into the corner, throttle it up some more and the bike turns better. Lift off the throttle and it goes wide.

Cars do the opposite, most of the time.

I'm sure Ienatch is a good rider, and he's a FAR better writer than Code, but I don't agree with some of his stuff and like the way Parks/Code conceptualize it better.

Ah well...

Discussion starter · #24 ·
I highly recommend the Reg Pridmore Book 'Smooth Riding - the Pridmore Way'

Of the books in my MC library (incl ones mentioned above) , this book comes closest to being the best fit for me and the way I ride. It is clear and concise and an easy read with good diagrams / pix.

I totally agree with him on the point 'Body Steering'

Only thing I could not agree with him on was when he discusses RPM ranges for riding Ducati V Twins

Butcher said:
I decided to bone up on the motorcycle skills and have Code, Parks and Ienatch.

I LOVE the Lee Parks book. The best in this category and the most oriented to street skills versus race track. Love it.

I didn't care for the Ienatch book. He seems to contradict some of the other stuff, especially in Parks about the bike needing to be off-throttle to turn where Code and Parks seem to think that the throttle (on) is the key to turning.

I'm sure Ienatch is a good rider, and he's a FAR better writer than Code, but I don't agree with some of his stuff and like the way Parks/Code conceptualize it better.

Ah well...
I've not read the Ienastch book (Sport Riding Techniques?) but I'm surprised to hear what you say. Obviously not disagreeing, just surprised. His article The Pace is a classic piece on how to approach street riding on a sport bike. Of course it's mostly about how to keep sanity and fun together, not as much about the mechanics of riding.

David B.

21 - 25 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.