Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Banned
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a carb'd 2000 m750. I started it up the other day and after about a minute of it warming up it just shut off. (Didn't notice any weird noises when it shut off) I went to start it again and when I pushed the start button nothing happened. The headlights and tail lights didn't even dim at all when I pressed the starter. I didn't think it was the battery but I charged it up anyways and tried starting it the next day, but no luck. My buddy said that if it was the starter I should try tapping it.

Any ideas?

·
Premium Member
5,487 Posts
You're going to get *much* better answers shortly...but if I had to guess, I'd say an electrical connection somewhere isn't being made. Binary it-works-one-day-and-then-it-doesn't type of stuff ~generally~ isn't a mechanical issue. Start at the starter switch and follow the wires down--make sure everything's connected. Begin simple and then look at the individual components.

I just had a pick-up go bad on my machine the other day--I'd be surprised if both had gone out at the same time, but maybe that's what happened.

I'm not much help, but it's better than nothing, right? ;D Good luck.

·
Premium Member
1,386 Posts
Misnderstood problem.

·
Banned
3,931 Posts
Don't forget to check the kill switch next to the throttle. I've accidentally bumped that before and it took several minutes to figure out. After pushing the bike off to the side of the road in a totally embarrassed manner.

·
Premium Member
5,487 Posts
Scott R. Nelson said:
Don't forget to check the kill switch next to the throttle. I've accidentally bumped that before and it took several minutes to figure out. After pushing the bike off to the side of the road in a totally embarrassed manner.
Um, yeah. Wot 'ee said. :-[ [laugh] Been there, done that. [cheeky]

·
Registered
704 Posts
Scott R. Nelson said:
been there, done that. both at a stop light, and as i rolled up to a stop sign once. :-[

i am sure i have been more embarrassed at least once in my life (just cant remember when...)

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Herm... said:
been there, done that. both at a stop light, and as i rolled up to a stop sign once. :-[

i am sure i have been more embarrassed at least once in my life (just cant remember when...)
Oh I did worse than that once. Pains me to admit it. Spent 30 minutes wearing myself out in front of a bunch of people (all the while cursing under my breadth about the crappy quality of stuff these days) while I tried to get my son's little 50 to kickstart over. Yup. Didn't have the key turned to the on position. In the immortal words of that Spanish guy who blew the Masters way back when..."What a stupid I am."

·
Registered
8,324 Posts
There is also a fuse for the "ignition". It will actually prevent the bike from cranking also. It's the 7 amp one in the fuse panel.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Scott R. Nelson said:
very brave admission, i am glad i am not the only one... :-[

·
Banned
3,931 Posts
dukatea said:
very brave admission, i am glad i am not the only one... :-[
It would only be brave to admit it if I had not been able to figure it out, had hauled it off to the dealer, and had them tell me that the kill switch was all that was wrong with it.

The one case I remember was a rare occasion of riding the Monster at night and I never could figure out how I managed to bump the kill switch. I killed the engine while trying to make a very gentle start at low rpms, and managed to bump the switch somehow before hitting the starter button. If there had been only one reason why the engine died it would have taken much less than the two minutes I took figuring it out.

The worst part of that ride was that I then noticed the tail light was burned out too, so I had to go find an auto parts store that was open while trying to ride safely across town with no lights in back. I used the brake a lot to be more visible. ;)

I aborted that night ride, by the way. The signs were clear that I wasn't meant to ride it that night.

·
Banned
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Mostrobelle said:
I thought about this some more...

check your fuses.
it was the first thing I did. But they all look fine. All of the wires going from the solenoid/relay to the starter looked okay. I think I am going to buy a solenoid from chris and then look at the switch to see if that's the culprit and then get a new starter. Does anyone know where you can pick up a new right-hand switch?

·
Registered
4,309 Posts
If your fuses are ok,
I'd put my money on the right hand switch.

I have one somewhere on the floor of my garage that was gifted to me,
so if you want it, you pay the shipping. I'm not sure if it'll fit, IIRC, it was off an early monster, and I made a "adapter" to fit it to my '04 SS temporarily while I waited for a new on from the dealer.

Were you on the bike when it died? Could it be sidestand/clutch safety switch? Possibly got bumped into gear with the sidestand down? Or possibly the switch is faulty, real easy to put a jumper wire across that to check.

·
Premium Member
1,386 Posts
:-[ ...

·
Registered
4,309 Posts
greenmonster said:
Repeat my 1st post.
Is your battery really OK?
Ign relay is before the RH switch, is it faulty or OK?
You should locate the problem before you buy anything.
He says the lights are still on, seems to me that if the battery has enough juice to keep the lights on, it's likely got enough to keep the motor runnin'.
Also, does the ign relay switch the lights?

·
Registered
8,324 Posts
toolfan said:
He says the lights are still on, seems to me that if the battery has enough juice to keep the lights on, it's likely got enough to keep the motor runnin'.
I'm pretty sure it does. I still think there is a fuse issue. Suddenly quit on the road while running.................? Hmmmmm.
The kill switch can be bypassed to check it. I'd get a test light or meter on the fuses.

·
Registered
4,309 Posts
ducpainter said:
I'm pretty sure it does. I still think there is a fuse issue. Suddenly quit on the road while running.................? Hmmmmm.
The kill switch can be bypassed to check it. I'd get a test light or meter on the fuses.
But isn't the only fuse that would affect running the "main" or whatever, and wouldn't that also turn off the lights?

·
Registered
8,324 Posts
toolfan said:
But isn't the only fuse that would affect running the "main" or whatever, and wouldn't that also turn off the lights?
No. There is a 7 amp fuse for "ignition". It won't crank, or run. I'm not sure about all the lights, but IIRC the H/L will still work.

I have experience with this one.

·
Premium Member
1,386 Posts
Likely it does but not always.
Yes. Bad relay = no lights.

I got this thread wrong from the start. Read "no light"... :-[
Sorry if I caused any confusion.

No. There is a 7 amp fuse for "ignition". It won't crank, or run. I'm not sure about all the lights, but IIRC the H/L will still work.

I have experience with this one.
+1, FHE.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts